sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2008 new beetle, ABS Hard light with secondary ESP light.

Customer Question

2008 new beetle , ABS Hard light with secondary ESP light. ESP light after hard reset will go off , but the ABS Light remains on. ESP Light will come back on after you start to drive again. ESP light works after the hard reset with the ESP Button. On and off with no problem. ABS Light remains on no blinking. I replaced all four ABS Speed Sensors. Replaced all Brake Pads. Brakes work fine. Currently waiting 500mi Check to see if light go's out on its own. Is there anything else I should Check? I also used a scan tool and it showed no codes.
JA: Has the light been on for some time?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2008 VW new Beetle Convertable
JA: Are you fixing your New Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: You
2008 new beetle , ABS Hard light with secondary ESP light. ESP light after hard reset will go off , but the ABS Light remains on. ESP Light will come back on after you start to drive again. ESP light works after the hard reset with the ESP Button. On and off with no problem. ABS Light remains on no blinking. I replaced all four ABS Speed Sensors. Replaced all Brake Pads. Brakes work fine. Currently waiting 500mi Check to see if light go's out on its own. Is there anything else I should Check? I also used a scan tool and it showed no codes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: VW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The lights are either on because the ABS module has seen a failure in the system and set a fault code or the module itself is not awake, either due to an internal failure or a loss of power or ground to it. Either way if the warning light is on there are fault codes set in at least one module.

Odds are the module is fine and has seen a failure in the system. The problem could be many things including the brake switch, ABS hydraulic control unit and pump motor, steering angle and yaw sensors, wiring, and the module itself. The first step will be to use a capable scan tool to see if the module communicates and if so what fault codes are set and testing can be done from there. If the module does not communicate then it's powers and grounds would next be tested.