vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I HAVE A 2002 VW BEETLE WITH THE TOP BATTERY BOX ON TOP THE

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2002 VW BEETLE WITH THE TOP BATTERY BOX ON TOP THE BLACK AND RED WIRES ARE GETTING HOT. THE BLACK WIRE GOES TO THE ALT. AND THE RED WIRE GOES TO THE ENGINE MUDULE AND WHEN YOU CONNECT THE BATTERY POST THE AC COMPRESSOR CLUTCH ENGADES. WITH ENGINE RUNNING THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN STOP THE AC COMPRESSOR IS UNPLUG IT. INSIDE CAR THE AC LIGHT IS OFF OR ON AND THE CLUCTH STAYS ENGAGED. IF YOU LEAVE THE WIRES CONNECTED THE BATTERY GOES DEAD. THE AC UNIT IS ALL NEW NEW CONDENSOR, COMPRESSOR, ETC.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: THE BATTERY IS CHARGING 14.5 WHILE RUNNING
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2002 VW BEETLE
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES, I REPLACED THE BATTERY BOX AND TOOK THE ALT. TO AUTOZONE THEY TOLD ME IT WAS CHARGING FINE. I HAVE BATTERY TESTER THE BATTERY IS GOOD. THE RED WIRE THAT LOOKS LIKE IT CONTROLS FANS AND AC COMPRESSOR. I ALSO CHAGED OUT THE AC CONTROL MODULE. I CHECKED BOTH FANS BY HOT WIRE THEY BOTH RUN. JUST 1 COMES ON WITH AC AND ENGINE RUNNING IT NOW RUNNING HOT. THE RED WIRE AND THE CABLE GOING FROM FUSE BOX TO BATTERY IS STILL GETTING HOT.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 10 months ago.

what is your VIN so I can look up information specific to your build data...