VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

2011 Tiguan, had a bad fan, broken bearings so it didn't

Customer Question
Hi. 2011 Tiguan, had...
Hi. 2011 Tiguan, had a bad fan, broken bearings so it didn't spin properly, replaced it, spins fine now. But it won't turn off, drained my battery last night I'm now trying to find the switch to test it
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: No I haven't. But clearly the fan doesn't shut off
JA: Are you fixing your Tiguan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried reading Matt J's answers! and I find them helpful so far I was trying to locate the fan switch in order to disconnect and see if that would be the cause
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: before you connect me, do you have a diagram for 2011 Tiguan fan section so I can locate the switch? It's tight in there and I don't want to start taking stuff apart without knowing what to look for.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/9/2016
VW Mechanic: Kevin, VW Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic

Hi im kevin what engine size and fuel do you have ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2.0 Tsi Gas

Let me check my info il be a couple of mins

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks for this. I'm having a hard time getting to it, I am getting under the car to access from there. Question: If I get there, and disconnect that switch and the fan stops, does that mean it's a faulty switch?

No the fan runs when switch is unplugged or failed .i would replace switch they are a very common failure

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Kevin. I unplugged the switch and took it out and some water drained too, but when I reconnect the battery, the fan starts running. Is this normal? And if so, if I replace the switch, what mechanism will stop it from running? I am confused.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I take that back. I understand your earlier explanation. I see that a failed switch or a missing switch means circuit on.

Correct the car is looking for a resistance within an expected range if switch fails it will bo outside the same as if unplugged and car will run fan as failsafe .i would replace switch first as they are very common to fail and are the cheapest option for the fault you have

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
FYI, I'm in Dubai, and it's like 90 degrees out there, no too much fun under the car, and the VW dealer is total rip-off artist. Sent a driver to go pick it up from them, see what price he comes back with.

Im in uk and they are normally around £20-25

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just received the part, and I plugged the connector into it, but didn't install the part back in the hose. Just to test, I connected the battery, and same thing, the fan started going. Any suggestions?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still there?

I dont have wiring schemiatic il opt out see if another tech can assist

VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

hanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need some more information. in the back where the spare tire is located is a white 3x5 sticker of option codes and the vehicle serial # . i do need a photograph of that sticker to assist.

second did you scan the vehicle for codes ? please do and let me know what codes are stored..

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi. I cannot find such a sticker. I don't know where it is.

sometimes the surround of the spare tire and the spare tire needs to be removed . it should be in that area .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Wolfgang. I authorized a payment of only $5 for this problem, but now I see my credit card has been charged $23. Please explain.

You need to contact customer service on this matter . I'm the technical expert and billing is a separate department. did you find the sticker so i can assist?

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician