vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

1999 VW BEETLE TDI MT - WAS SLOW STARTING IE HAD TO CRANK A

Customer Question

1999 VW BEETLE TDI MT - WAS SLOW STARTING IE HAD TO CRANK A LITTLE LONGER THAN NORMAL LAST FEW MONTHS. WENT TO START ONE MORNING NOTHING. REPL;ACED 109 SOENOID FOR ECU - NOTHING. TRIED A SECOND ONE SAME RESULTS. TRIED TO BLEED INJECTORS, BUT NO REAL PRESSURE, SO CHANGED FUEL FILTER. THEN CHECKED VOLTAGE AT INJECTION PUMP SOENOID. WHEN FIRST CRANK VOLTAGE PRESENT BUT THEN DISAPPEARS. NOT SURE PATH OF CURRENT TO THIS SOENOID OR POSSIBLE WHAT IS FAILING TO PROVIDE THIS CONDITION?
Category: VW
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
SORRY FOR TYPOS.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results.

Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!!

I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

need to clarify some things here.

1. so the vehicle cranks and does not start or no crank at all?
  2. when you turn the key on does the check engine light come on and does the glow plug light come on and then turns off?
  3. what happens if you spray carb cleaner in the intake and crank the engine (if cranks) does it attemp to run?

please let me know!!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1. VEHICLE IS RANKING OVER THOUGH LATELY IT WAS CRANKING LONGER BEFORE FIRING
2. GLOW PULG LIGCOMES ON THEN GOES OUT
3. ISSUE IS VOLTAGE TO INJECTOR SOLENOID IS PRESENT WHEN TURN KWEY TO ON AND THEN IN START MODE BUT WHILE CRANKING LOSE VOLTAGE; PROBABLY LOSING VOLTAGE TO ECU OR SOMETHING ELSE NEEDED IN
SYSTEM TO RUN
4. PLACED JUMPER ONTO SOLENOID AND OPENED INJECTORS BUT VERY LITTLE FLOW
5. TO MY LEVEL EXPERTISE - I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON CARS FOR OVER 40 YEARS INCLUDING REBUILDING ENGINE, TRANS, INJECTION PUMPS, STARTERS, ALTERNATORS, ETC.; BODY WORK; FABRICATION; ENGINE SWAPS; THIS INCLUDES ON GAS AND DIESEL ENGINES IN CARS, , TRACTORS, OTORCYCLES, EQUIPMENT-
I AM SEEKING ASSISTANCE ON THE LECTRONIC END OF THIS SITUATION AS I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH VW EXPERIENCE WITH THEIR DIESELS TO KNOW THE FLOW LOGIC OF VOLTAGE COMING INTO THE SOLENOID NOR HAVE I FOUND PROPER DOCUMENTATION IE WHEN KEY TURNED ON WHERE DO VOLTAGE FLOW FROM IGNITION BEFORE ENDING UP AT INJECTION PUMP SOLENOID AND WHAT ELSE IS FED ON THE SAME CIRCUIT TO
ISOLATE WHAT IS FAILING. HOPING TO GET LUCKY ENOUGH TO CATCH SOMEONE WITH ENOUGH EXPERIENCE TO HAVE FACED THIS SAME SET OF CIRCUMSTANCES BEFORE AND WHAT WAS CAUSE. THANKS. MARK.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

ok i do need a vin # to get the factory wiring diagram.