vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a 2000 jetta 1.8T wolfsburg edition with a 5speed.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 jetta 1.8T wolfsburg edition with a 5speed. Runs fine except the check engine light is on. Throws 3 codes that all seem to be vacuum or air related.
P0012 bank 1 camshaft (intake) advanced setpoint not reached
P0170 fuel trim malfunction bank 1
P0411 secondary air injection system, incorrect flow detected
What should I be looking for to correct these?
Mark
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Mark, Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results.

Note, you may have a compounded issue with the 3 codes and most likely there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!!

I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best. I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need to know some more information.

• i do need to know if the timing belt was replaced recently?
  • any other repair work performed prior of these codes coming on?
  • any recent accidents?
  • does the oil pressure light come on at times?

please let me know

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Timing belt not replaced recently that I know of. Bought the car about 6-8 months ago and it ran fine. Had a situation with the cel and found PCV system leaking after being smoke tested. Replaced the PCV hose kit. On the techs test drive after that he had the oil pressure light come on and said he heard noise from the cam tensioner. They replaced the oil pick up tube and pan gasket. Light rear end accident about 3 months ago. No oil light I am aware of. About 145k miles on the car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wolfgang, is that it? is our session over? At this point I think I have answered more questions than you. Can you give me an A+ rating and send payment by Paypal please.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

no i had to put the kids to sleep!!

if you clear the codes and then road test the car for 5 miles and then retest does the p0012 fault come back?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is telling me P0301 cylinder 1 misfire and P0171 Fuel trim: system too lean bank 1
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

need to rectify the lean fault first because a lean fault can induce the misfire. your scan tool is it VAG COM where you can get measured values to see what the engine is seeing?

let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
today it is giving code 171 fuel system too lean.
My tool is a Innova scan tool 3040 I do not believe it gives live data
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

you need a scan tool preferably VAG COM where you can see the sensors readings and make tests to isolate the lean fault. the lean fault must be diagnosed first!!!