VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

When convertible top is closed the light remains on saying

Customer Question
the top is open, alarm...
when convertible top is closed the light remains on saying the top is open, alarm chimes and windows will not go up.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: up where it normally says the teperature.
JA: What year is your Convertible?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we just purchased it for my daughter yesterday. yes, i'm trying to fix myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: dont think so. havent found anything really online.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
9/26/2016
VW Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

is that vw beetle ?

there is a micro switch at the frame where it locks that tells the top module that it is locked

the system will not allow the window to go up since it will damage the top since it thinks it is still open even know it is not

you need to have it scanned and retrieve the fault codes from the top module using a vw scanner or equivalent to know for sure

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that sensor hard to replace?

no not hard , it is 0.8 hr labor on most of the top switches .

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) AND WASTE YOUR MONEY ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue & you're not wasting your money.
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technicia

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I remove the micro switch? It looks like a lot of trim around the windshield needs to be removed first. Any ticks to this?

I will open up the question for another expert to help you , i just don't have any info or diagrams to help you with it

VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results.

Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!!

I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I'm very suprised that the other person did not assist you more on this but there is some more information needed .

• i do need a vin # of the vehicle to see wht model vw you have and options you have to get an effective trace down!!

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, the vin # is 3VWPG31Y67M408121

ok you have beetle convertible . Did you have a scan test performed on the convertible top module by any chance?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I didn't.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is a manual top too, not the automatic hydraulic one.

if the top is open all the way does the light go out? the light does not go off when the top is closed

sorry for the repetative questions !! just making sure!!

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when its completely open with both sides pushed down in the locking position the light is off and windows will go all the way up. As soon as you press the release buttons in the back to release the top, the windows go down a little, and the light goes on. When top is completely closed and latched the light remains on, windows will not go up completely and a chime goes off when you start driving.

ok let me get the directions of how to adjust or replace the microswitch

hello just checking in to see if you have seen the premium service offer?

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did. I'm planning to just figure it out this weekend. Not thinking it will be very difficult just thought knowing a couple tricks for removing the trim and micro switch would help greatly.
This service seems to have changed since the last time I used it a few years ago.
Thanks anyway!
Scott

Fyi the switch is not adjustable so if the switch is good there is a procedure for adjustment for the top!!!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician