Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I have a 2003 vw beetle I changed out the battery and now it

Customer Question

I have a 2003 vw beetle I changed out the battery and now it won't start battery is brand new and good. Car was running great.
Category: VW
Expert:  david craig replied 10 months ago.

Hi Im David allow me a few moment to look up some info on your vehicle...thanks

does it crank?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok, when you are cranking it does the security light stay on, flash or go out?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No sir it doesn't come on at all

ok you have a theft deterrent issue going on.

let me see if I can figure out how to get you going.

close and lock all the doors, allow the car to sit for at least two minutes. Then using the key unlock and open the car door and try to start, this should reset the alarm control unit, if this does not work, then do the same, close and lock the doors, wait two minutes, then open the trunk, do not close but leave it open, then open the door and try to start. Please advise what happens for further.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I tried it and it did not work
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The remote on the key stopped working about 2 years ago when I got it wet

Ok then a no crank, the next step would be to test the system and see if the switch is sending power and if the alarm control unit is not allowing it to start. You can try this really quick, disconect both battery cables, remove negative first then positive, while both are off, touch them together, then reconect positive first then negative. Very immportant to diconect and reconect in the order I asked. Then once everything is back together, close the door and lock the vehicle, again wait the two minutes, then try the same procedure as earlier. It may be that the alarm control unit may be locked out, and a capacitor discharge at times will correct this issue. Let me know what you find for further, the radio if it unlocked, should again unlock, on later 2000 models, the code was stored in the cluster, so once the radio and cluster communicate it should transfer the unlock code again.

just checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wasn't able to try the cables last night but will be sure to try today and let you know what happens. Fingers crossed.

ok. sounds good.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay the first time I did it the alarm went off but the car did not start. the second time I did it the alarm didn't go off but the car still did not start

ok.... hang on a sec

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 10 months ago.

Hello Joe!!

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results.

Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!!

I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

Joe do you still need any assistance? Please let me know!!!

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your message and yes I do need your assistance my vehicle will not start. The vehicle was running fine butt had to change out the battery and when put new battery on vehicle would no longer start. I checked the fuel pump and it is working. All the fuses seem to be good not sure how to check relays. The key remote does not work, but hasn't worked in over 3 years. What do I need to try to get this car started?
The first thing I need to know if you have a check engine light on when the key is on? Second with the gas pedal to the floor and holding crank the engine over for 15 seconds does the engine attempts to hit and try to run or not? Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the light is on and no it just cranks and the motor does not hit at all
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the check engine light is on

ok so far the ecu is operational. now when you open the drivers door do you hear the fuel pump run for 2-3 seconds?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No only when I turn the key forward

Do you have any scanner to check for codes ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No

i wonder if fuse popped from the battery change ? i would check each fuse . one at a time to see if any are blown .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just checked all the fuses and there all good.

Joe i do need a vin # of the vehicle . there is a really good chance that more time will be needed to trace this out . the premium service may really come into play on this FYI!!!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
3vwck21c23m425679
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
any word yet on what else I could try?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 months ago.

sorry was in the hospital!!

a scan test is really needed to see if there are any fault codes stored. i know that this is frustrating but by looking at the diagrams and what you have removed and replaced this is the next step that needs to be done!!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I get get the codes what else can I do?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

what codes were stored? please let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was not able to get any codes on the vw
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

what scan tool did you use ? make and model # please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Auto Zone not sure
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

the issue is that some code readers will not read codes correctly from vw's. VAG COM / VCDS is the tool recommended

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't own one.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

ok . in order to go further for diagnostic the premium service must be utilized. there may be alot of checks involved which takes time .. note at the dealer they charge $120 and hr where here will be cheaper but you get more in the long run!

let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sounds good what's the cost
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

see the more q and a premium service request

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

Joe do you still want to continue where we can get this back on the road?

please let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I need this car running but if you feel you can't continue without a computer reading and I need to pay for a higher tech I'm willing to do so.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

i do understand your view on this . FYI i'm a VW master tech now for 18 yrs. so diagnosis of this issue should not be an issue but some variables that needs to be answered to narrow this down to a certain area .

i do hope you understand on my side of this !!

just let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Of course so what do I need to try next?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

to continue you need to accept the premium service header that i have offered to you

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't have it where I'd I go to accept it
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 months ago.

did you get it? i just resent it!!