Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

My 2014 vw passat automatic transmission turbo gas started

Customer Question

my 2014 vw passat automatic transmission turbo gas started and all the service lights came on and the car will not go out of park. I tried removing the battery cable overnight, did nothing. I held the gas pedal down for 20 sec and then started the car, did nothing. Only way to get it into Drive was to open the shift boot and press the manual override.
What is wroing? Can I fix it myself or do I need to get it to the VW dealer?
Category: VW
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Check and see if you have brake lights when the brake pedal is pressed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
call now, if possible
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Sounds like a brake switch or shift interlock problem. Do you need a wiring diagram of the shift interlock circuit?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no it is a lease I just tjought it could have a reset of somesort. I will get it towed to dealer if more than that
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
brake lights work. lights in dash on:steering wheel, check engine light,antislip light, low air tire, all on
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Disconnect both battery cables (positive and negative) and hold them together for 15 minutes. Then reconnect one at a time, positive first then negative. This should reset the system.

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
will try now and let you know in 25 min
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

OK

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
did nothing, same
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

We tried, this needs the dealer scan tool to diagnose.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

This is tough to diagnose over the internet, please let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wow! You never said "check the TCM fuse located in fuse panel on driver side"
A $2 fuse and all is well. You,obviously, do not know this car. Please do Not charge me or I will have to rate you poorly for not knowing what a young, new mechanic at the dealer checked FIRST
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Keep in mind I am not there to see the car. The site is supposed to ask you automatically if you checked all fuses. If you would like a refund you need to contact customer service, I do not process refunds as I am just a user of the site like yourself.

Did you ask what caused the fuse to blow? Fuses usually blow for a reason.