VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Ignition switch keeps locking up on 2010 VW new beetle

Customer Question
convertible. Took to Serra...
Ignition switch keeps locking up on 2010 VW new beetle convertible. Took to Serra VW in B'ham to replace switch. It sill locks up. HELP !!!!
JA: Has the car been stalling out?
Customer: NO
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Car is still at dealership. Went to pick up and switch was locked up after they said they installed new ignition switch.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Just that I've already broken 1 key in the ignition. This has been going on since I purchased car in Nov, 2010. Called again to say car was ready. I asked him to check it one more time before I made the drive to dealership so he did and came back and said it was locked up again.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
8/17/2016
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

just need some more information .

did they replace the cylinder for the key and the lock housing for the steering column at the same time?

please let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure. I asked for a new ignition switch and they said they installed one. Called me saying it was ready twice and when I went to pick up switch was locked up again, both times.

on the locking part usually the column lock and the cylinder is replaced at the same time . you may want to ask that to make sure .

now i have seen this where for example when you turn the vehicle off and pull the key out then you open the door and with one hand use the steering wheel to assist you to get out . the steering wheel turns and then locks the steering wheel. with that turning and the tires are slightly turned but also stressed due to the turning and binds the lock because the tire is rubber and flexes. that flexing may cause the lock cylinder bind and not allow you to turn the key . by turning the steering wheel way from the torqued bind then its easier to turn the key . please just keep in mind of that .

does that make sense?

if you still do not understand please let me know!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand what you are saying. I have been very careful to make sure tires/steering wheel are straight when I park the car. I will check to see if they have replaced the column lock and the cylinder as well. I guess we can take it from there when I get their answer. Thank you so much for your help.

my pleasure

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician