vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Passenger side airbag module needs to be replaced. VW dealer

Customer Question

passenger side airbag module needs to be replaced. VW dealer wanted $1,000 - way too much. 2004 beetle convertible turbo
JA: What is the model of your '04 VW?
Customer: . 2004 beetle convertible gls turbo
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: at least want to find the part - maybe used. Expect it is unplug the dead one and replace with working unit. Getting to it may be challenging.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

the air bag module is it the one for the dash or the one for the passenger seat. there is a big difference!!

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they indicated it was the module under the passenger seat. I was not aware there is actually an airbag under the passenger seat and assumed it was the controller for the dash mounted airbag.