VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I have a 2003 VW Jetta GL 2.0. When I took the car to a

I have a 2003 VW...
I have a 2003 VW Jetta GL 2.0. When I took the car to a mechanic for electrical repairs a few years back, the speedometer cluster was changed and they replaced with with a used speedometer cluster that had a different mileage count. The mechanic told me there was no way to modify the mileage count on the replacement odometer. Is this true?
7/24/2016
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

The mechanic is correct. The mileage cannot be changed in the instrument cluster like one could on older vehicles. The mileage is kept in a control module in the cluster and cannot be tampered with in order to change the mileage. The only way to have the correct mileage is to install a new cluster and have it programmed with the most current mileage. At that point, it cannot be altered.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager