VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Need help with my jetta not starting after timing belt

Customer Question
change done by Pep boy...
Need help with my jetta not starting after timing belt change done by Pep boy mechanic
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
7/22/2016
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need more information .

1. vin # ***** to see what set up you have.
  2. are you the mechanic that worked on the vehicle ?

let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
vin-3vwsk69mx2m021012
i did not work on the vehicle, it was a mechanic at Pep boys
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can give you a bit more detail but id like to talk step by step. But, i was driving home from work but had to make a stop first. The car started fine and was driving fine on the freeway. I had to stop at a light and I felt it idle a bit hard and when I went to accelerate and shift out of first it was accelerating well. it was struggling. I got it up to 30 mph and it went better. I had to stop at the light again and it stalled. I turned to start it again with a few pumps at the gas pedal and it started but still had the acceleration problem then it died 2 mins later and everything started to lock up and i had to coast into a lot. After that it wouldnt start up again at all. It cranked over but wouldn't start up at all. it just made a whirring sound.

does the cranking noise sound the same or different while cranking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it would say it sounds the same as i turn the key, but it makes a whirring noise while trying to start it then has a high squeal at the end. I at first thought my starter had crapped out but they said they ran a test on the alternator, starter and something else and said it was fine.

i do beleve that the timing belt tensioner has loosened up and then skipped (poor workmanship) or a fuel issue where the fuel pump has failed . did the check engine light come on before it stalled?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have those same feelings too. That or the belt wasn't aligned right. I did have my pump replaced, new, a few months back. I was having an issue a week before this, my in line on the fuel filter would keep coming off and stalling my car. I went and replaced the filter and that stopped. It did come one once it stalled out, it started wigging out a bit and i heard some chimes, the seat belt and battery light came on. I am not sure it the EPC light flashed but it would come up when I tried starting my car.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
since it was idiling rough and started all the bad acceleration and stalling, could it be that it has a dirty or malfunctioning air flow sensor?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
any ideas?

sorry lost power last night with the storms!! just got back online

when you turn the key on does the check engine light come on? (that will tell me that the ecu is on line)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's all good! Well when I tried before the mechanic it would come on. But no start. But it's still at the shop while I get this figured out so I can't really say right now.

please let me know !!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It comes on

ok that is a good sign. it really sounds like poor workmanship on their end . can't say 100% because i'm not there where i can look at the vehicle

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, just by the symptoms of a rough idle, slow acceleration, stalling then not working at all even with a new belt and water pump, could we say that the possibilities are either fuel system clogged/dirty or vacuum leak, bad ignition, belt isn't on correctly, dirty or bad air flow sensor, failing electrical components or low voltage, broken valves? I know there were many other tests they could have done before just physically looking and assuming it was the belt. Do you know if this jetta has an interference or non interference engine?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, I will pay the rest of the credit for our conversation, so don't worry on that. I just want to make sure I have a thorough amount of info. Anything I can get.

the 2.0 that you have is an interference motor!!!

hold on so this had this issue before the timing belt replacement?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hmm so if my belt broke it's possible that valves or cylinders broke and if that was the case, if they did a thorough diagnostic test on the engine, which I feel they didn't they should have done a compression test on the cylinders that would indicate those things so that they wouldn't have to do all the work for the belt any ways? All the symptoms I had before it died was a rough idle, very sluggish acceleration and a stutter then a stall then it died. Based on that I narrowed it down the possibilities. The car was running fine until I got off the highway and had to stop at a light

at least bent the valves

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, final questions. I havent had time to get on here in a couple days. sorry. So, if my Jettas engine is an interference engine and the belt broke there is a very slim chance that it escaped engine damage ( bent valves, piston, cylinder wall, ect..) right? even if it just 1 or two valves or whatever.

very slim. less than 10 % chance of no damage

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The mechanic at pep boys told me there's a 70% chance of it not getting damaged and told me it was just the belt and after they replaced it said there could be damage. But I told him that this engine type has a slim chance. Sorry, I'm in a dispute with them right now. I don't know if it's because I'm a woman that they are lying to my face. He said that he wouldn't know if there was damage unless he changed the belt which I call bs.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since it has that type of engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the belt broke

ask them if they have a borescope to see if the valves touched the pistons!!! just for kicks tell them that my cousin is a VW Master certified tech but at the other end of the states!!! for a premium service i can assist in this with a phone call if needed.

If there is no evidence of valves hitting the pistons then you may have a chance but slim.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can they do that test with or without the belt? I really appreciate the help. I. Just a chef, but I know the basics and can do the basic work on my car. Brakes, filter changes, fuel pump installation, oil changes and tune ups. The belt is something I never wanted to mess with since it seems complicated

THE VISUAL WITH THE BORESCOPE YOU DO NOT NEED THE BELT BUT . TO REALLY DO A COMPRESSION AND LEAKDOWN CHECK THE TIMING BELT NEEDS TO INSTALLED TO MAKE SURE!!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician