Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I HAVE A 2001 VW BEETLE AND SOME TIMES THE AC WORKS AND SOME

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2001 VW BEETLE AND SOME TIMES THE AC WORKS AND SOME TIMES IT DOSE'NT WHY IS IT DOING THAT ? HELP
Category: VW
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'd ask an AC recharge firm to check the pressure of the gas / coolant in the system as if its low then this can produce intermittant operation

alternatively you can buy some AC refill bottles from Walmart with a small pressure gauge on them so you can measure it and top it up yourself

if this level is OK then I'd suspect the pressure switch is faulty and to replace it you will need to have the system drained professionally

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About how dose that cost
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

typically a new pressure switch is about $40 and then there's the cost of fresh gas on top which is about another $100 plus the labour charge to replace the parts

so all in I'd expect about $250 - depending on the garage you use

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you