VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Ok car came into our shop with a lack of power .found low

Customer Question
vacuum to boot control unloading...
ok car came into our shop with a lack of power .found low vacuum to boot control unloading waste gate . found connector going throw fire wall to battery box huge vacuum leak when engine torqued up repaired fine for a few days . returned with same problem found vacuum pump could not keep up when brake was applied . replaced vac pump . vac returned to normal . car returned again customer requesting turbo replacement along with boost control and mass air meter and boost silonid . sitill no power over light throttle response car has 50 k miles well taken care of . replaced fuel filter also .check set up of waste gate for proper adjustment
JA: Has the filter ever been replaced? How has the car been running lately?
Customer: air filter and fuel filter are new
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 02/05 Passat wagon
JA: What year is your VW?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: vac pump replacement turbo replacement mass air boost sensor boost control air and fuel filters
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 day by:
7/5/2016
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need some more information.

• vin # ***** the vehicle
  • do you have VAG COM scan tool?
  • any recent accidents to the vehicle?
  • any fault codes stored?
  • does the the vehicle give an extreme puff of black smoke when accelerated hard?

please let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1 > WVWCE63B65E137033
2 > YES
3 >NO
4 > P0299
5 > YES
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ALSO CAR HAS ONLY 3 PSI MAX OF BOOST WE ARE GOING TO CHANGE TURBO THIS UNIT IS NEW AND CAR RAN FINE FOR 2 WEEKS AFTER CHANGE CHECKED INTAKE CHARGE TUBES FOR LEAKS NONE FOUND .WHAT SHOULD MAX OR NORMAL BOOST BE PEAK AND NORMAL

before replacing turbo please have the car running and go to basic settings and then 011 and then look at the actuator for the turbo make sure there is at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch of movement!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is 0.750 to 1.000 movement in actuator @ 13 to 15 inch of vac.
the car now run find for a period of time then goes into limp mode . can be corrected by key cycle
changed vac pump boost silinoid ,all vac lines, boost sensor, air meter, repaired vac leak between fire wall and battery box for when applying brake brought vac below 7 inch of vac. now 25 inch vac at all times ,.pressure tested charge side of intake for leaks none found held 15 psi of pressure .no codes at present time

WHAT HAPPENS THAT THE LEVER AND VANES GETS TO BE OBLONG AND THEN STICKS AT TIMES. THIS HAPPENS WHEN THE TURBO IS HOT.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the orignal turbo did this then we replaced the turbo with a new factory one problem still there replaced turbo again with another new unit same problem can not be turbo or controls changed everything any thoughts is there another type turbo up grade for this car

here is the diag test procedure!!

Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve -N75-, Checking

General Description

Both the boost and intake pressures are used to control the wastegate of the turbocharger. These pressure signals are supplied to the Diesel Direct Fuel Injection Engine Control Module -J248-, which then sends a pulse-width modulated signal to the Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve -N75-. As a result, the Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve -N75- controls the vacuum supply to the Pressure Unit, which directly acts on the wastegate via a connecting rod. This control system regulates the turbine speed and sets the maximum boost pressure.

Special tools and workshop equipment required

t Multimeter.

t Wiring Diagram.

t Scan Tool.

Test requirements

l Fuses OK.

l Battery voltage OK.

l Switch OFF All electrical and electronic accessories.

l Vehicles with Auto. Transmission, ensure Selector Lever position is in “P”.

l Vehicles with Manual Transmission, ensure Shifter Lever position is in “N” with Parking Brake applied.

l Observe all safety precautions: → Chapter „Safety Precautions“.

l View clean working conditions: → Chapter „Clean Working Conditions“.

l For Hybrid vehicles refer to: → Chapter „High Voltage System General Warnings“.

Test Procedure

StepProcedureResult / Action to Take

1

l PERFORM: Preliminary Check to verify the customers complaint. Refer to → Chapter „Preliminary Check“.

– Was Complaint verified?

– YES:

t GO TO: ***** ***** → Anchor.

– NO:

t GATHER more information from customer about the complaint.

2

l IGNITION: OFF.

l DISCONNECT: Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve -N75- harness connector.

l CHECK: Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve -N75- component connector terminals 1 to 2 for resistance.

l SPECIFIED VALUE: 5 – 25 Ω (@ approx. 20° C).

– Was Value obtained?

– YES:

t GO TO: ***** ***** → Anchor.

– NO:

t REPLACE: Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve -N75-. Refer to appropriate repair manual.

t GO TO: ***** ***** → Anchor.

3

l IGNITION: ON.

l CHECK: Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve -N75- harness connector terminal 1 to ground for voltage.

l IGNITION: OFF.

l SPECIFIED VALUE: Battery voltage.

– Was Value obtained?

– YES:

t GO TO: ***** ***** → Anchor.

– NO:

t PERFORM: Visual Inspection of wiring and component.

t CHECK: Wiring for open, high resistance, short or harness connector for damage, corrosion, loose or broken terminals.

t REPAIR: Faulty wiring or connector.

t GO TO: ***** ***** → Anchor.

4

l REMOVE: Diesel Direct Fuel Injection Engine Control Module -J248-. Refer to appropriate repair manual.

l CHECK: Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve -N75- harness connector terminal 2 to the Diesel Direct Fuel Injection Engine Control Module -J248- harness connector T60 / 29 for resistance.

l SPECIFIED VALUE: 0.5 Ω (± 0.3 Ω).

– Was Value obtained?

– YES:

t TIP: The Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve -N75- may fail under loaded operation; please swap a known good Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve -N75- prior to continuing to the next step.

t GO TO: ***** ***** → Anchor.

– NO:

t REPAIR: Faulty wiring or connector.

t GO TO: ***** ***** → Anchor.

5

l Final Procedure

l Perform a road test to verify repair.

– Does the original DTC return?

– YES:

t CHECK: Diesel Direct Fuel Injection Engine Control Module -J248- harness connector for any damaged, pushed-out pins.

t REPAIR: As necessary.

t If all electrical connections are OK:

t REPLACE: Diesel Direct Fuel Injection Engine Control Module -J248-. Refer to appropriate repair manual.

t Clear the DTC’s. Refer to → Chapter „Diagnostic Mode 04 - Erase DTC Memory“.

t Repair is complete. Generate Readiness Code. Refer to → Chapter „Readiness Code“.

t Return vehicle to Customer.

– NO:

t Perform the diagnostic procedure for any DTC’s.

t If no DTC’s return the repair is complete.

t Return vehicle to customer.

DAB 9-18-15

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician