VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Vehicle dies hot won't start until it cools down. no spark

Customer Question
hello vehicle dies hot won't...
hello vehicle dies hot won't start until it cools down. no spark at the coil. has new cam position sensors
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: cranks fast
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2003 vw passat 2.8
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i am hoping to fix this my self
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: speedometer doesn't work
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
6/28/2016
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I need some more information.

The camshaft sesnor which one did you replace ? location ?

is the check engine light on when running?

is the abs/brake light on while running?

any recent repairs prior to this issue?

any recent accidents?

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Both cam sensors. Engine light on. No abs light. No repairs. No accidents.

ok the most likely sensor that was ignored is the crank sensor . that sensor tells the ecu that the engine is turning and if that is not sensing that it is not turning the engine will not run. A scan test is needed to verify to make sure but i'm 95% positive that is your issue.

when hot the signal breaks down causing a stall untill cooled . the sensor is located on the drivers side lower on the block . when replacing make sure the wire is away of the exhaust manifold.

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU OUT ON YOUR ISSUE AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING ON YOUR END!!!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician