VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I have a 2007 gti with Ds. Water got inside the ballast and

Customer Question
I have a 2007 gti...
I have a 2007 gti with HIDs. Water got inside the ballast and fried the board. I just replaced both the ballast and HL assembly. The xenon still doesn't work although the running light, high beam, and turn signal are functioning.
JA: Have you checked the fuse? Have you checked for bad bulbs?
Customer: Yes and yes. Both fuses are good, as well as the bulbs. I even went so far as to pull both assemblies and plug the passenger in to the driver side. Low beam came on.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am hoping to fix it myself..if possible.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The high beams only work when the signal stalk is pulled forward after turning the light switch on. With it turned off, the flap over the xenons flips down for a few seconds and then back up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/23/2016
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I DO NEED SOME MORE INFO!!

• I NEED A VIN #.
  • Do you have vag com scan tool?
  • when you start the car does the operating hid move down and then back up?

please let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have a VAG com, but I do have a an OBDII tool.
The HID does go through its auto leveling process.
VIN: WVWGV71K17W12745

can you double check the vin it is not correct!!

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Add a 3 to the end of it.

did you replace the module? it is located on the headlamp but on the bottom. the headlamp needs to be removed to gain access.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the ballast. Old one got water in it and fried the board. New ballast is verified functional. I plugged it in to the driver's side and all lights worked.

ballast is the red thing that goes in the back of the bulb correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe that is called an ignitor. Either way, both are verified operationa .

want to be 100% positive and bear with me you took the ballast to the other side and it worked correct?

ok you will need a volt meter . below is the wire layout of connector a of the j519 vehicle electrics module

the pic is the layout of the module connectors and pins. check voltage on connector A pin 5 and let me know what is the voltage!!!

thanks

Vehicle electrical control module system J519, A = 11-Pin connector

1 - Terminal 30

2 - Right Low Beam Headlamp

3 - Right High Beam Headlamp

4 - Right Front Fog Lamp

5 - Right High Intensity Gas Discharge (HID) Lamp (Xenon)

6 - Right Front Turn Signal Lamp

7 - Left Parking Lamp

8 - Left Side Turn Signal, applicable to US/CDN

9 - Ground

10 - Fuel Pump (FP) Relay

11 - Power Supply Relay 2 (terminal 50)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct. I removed the entire headlight and plugged it in on the driver's side and everything worked.

look above for the next step on checking if you have power back of the j519 that is located under the dash where it has relays on the module

vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced