VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Got a 2006 Jetta TDI. It starts and immediately quits when

Customer Question
Got a 2006 Jetta TDI...
Got a 2006 Jetta TDI. It starts and immediately quits when parked up hill; instantly starts and continues to run when pointed downhill. Just did another start parked downhill. Strarted instantly, chugged for a few moments and then smoothed out.
Background: Parked in the barn for about a month (hail season); it was parked down hill. When I went to start it the check engine light was on steady, it started, stumbled and quit. One, two seconds max cranking and it fired up and ran smooth. About a week later I went to use it; check engine light still on steady. It didn't start right away. Acted like the glowplugs weren't operating, but it started after a couple hits with the starter. i noticed I wasn't hearing the electric fuel pump when I first turned on the ignition. Parked it headed downhill and it started and ran fine. Drove it to work for a several days with no problems. Came out after work one night and it started but would not continue to run; noted the fuel was less than half tank. Parked headed downhill and it started and ran fine next morning. Took it to the local VW dealer. They found a chewed up wire harness and replaced the fuel filter and soaked me for a transmission flush. Picked it up Saturday afternoon, parked it head up hill. Went to start it,noticed I could hear the fuel pump, it didn't start. Cranked on and finally got it running. Ran an errand, parked headed slightly downhill, it started fine after sitting about 20-30 minutes. Thinking it might be a line blockage, I accelerated hard of a light thinking it would stumble if it were a fuel supply issue. It ran fine. Maybe I should find a stretch of road and push it for a longer period of time. Engine check light is out.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/21/2016
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

On your vehicle you will not hear a fuel pump when the key is on only while cracking. I have a feeling that the intank fuel pump is failing . The extended crank on the vehicle the tandem (high) pump will eventually get fuel from the tank but will crank for a while . An inspection is needed to make sure you do not have bad fuel and nothing has come apart in the tank . the access holse is under the back seat bottom .

anything else?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Wolfgang, What I believe is the pump sound starts when the key/ignition is turned on. The glowplug light goes out pretty quick and the hum stops before I engage the starter. I say its the fuel pump, because I hear a similar sound on my diesel truck as soon as the ignition is turned on and the glowplugs time out.What should I be looking for through the inspection hole/port and is there a drain plug on the tank to take a fuel sample and check for water or debris?For experience, I used to own two 1986 jetta diesels, one normally aspirated and one turbo. Never took an engine out, but have changed fuel, and oil filters on them. Wish I still had them. These newer cars seem to have everything hidden or inaccessible. Changed glowplugs and glowplug controller on my old 6.9 Ford. About four years ago I pulled the turbo off my 7.3 replaced the turbo housing, replaced the compressor wheel,replaced the wastegate controller, replaced the exhaust system, air filter system, changed out the chip, and added a transmission controller. Since then its just been odds and ends of stuff, hoses, filters, etc. the 2006 maintenance has all been done by a VW dealership. Just in case I always pull out my cutting torch and sledge hammer and set them right in front of the vehicle I'm working on. I believe you can talk to vehicles and they listen; at least they seem to more than my wife :-)

no drain plug . you need to take the pump out using the access hole under the passenger seat rear. glow plug light has nothing to do with this!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Didn't think it was glowplug issue. My reference to the glowplug light was primarily to help explain the timing and sequence of events. Should I get a replacement gasket for the fuel pump access cover/plate? Probably also need a hose to siphon out a fuel sample. Should I be looking for particles, fungus/mold. Would water contribute to this problem?I was thinking a loose fitting, a cracked or chaffed fuel line would let air into the system and the fuel bleed back into the tank, but I haven't seen an indication of a leak or smelled fuel. When I pull the fuel pump out, will I be able to jumper some power to it to see if it runs?

fungus mold and water should be checked. and yes the ring gasket needs to be replaced.

you can but need to see if there is voltage at the connector when cranking . test the system how it operates . a dry test may not lead the right direction except if the pump delivers low or no volume!!

vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced