vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

2008 2.5 jetta is only blowing hot air with the air

Customer Question

2008 2.5 jetta is only blowing hot air with the air conditioning on. was working fine and then after turning off the vehicle is only blowing hot air.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked the hoses for leaks?
Customer: does it sound like the a/c needs recharging, a relay, fuses checked ok
JA: What is the model of your '08 VW?
Customer: coolant level is fine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not sure if I should just take to dealer. have tried different settings,looked at the obvious, not sure what I'm missing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: with the a/c engaged, vehicle is blowing hot air not warm
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

Unfortunately the first step to check an AC problem is checking the pressures (low and high side) to do so you will need a dual AC pressure gage to monitor the readings , knowing the pressures is being more than half away to find the problem

It sounds like your AC compressor is not turning ON ,it could be a low freon problem(leak in the system ) or a electric problem .

If it is a bit low just have it top off and add dye to find the leak faster next time you have the problem.

If the pressures go to high numbers ,the condenser fan may not be working.

Like I said the first thing is getting the pressure readings and then go from there ,I would go to an independent shop once you may save some money at least on labor and after market parts if you don't mind using them if needed.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you very much.