VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I dropped my keys in some water the other day, and since

Customer Question
Hey pearl, I dropped my...
Hey pearl, I dropped my keys in some water the other day, and since then, my doors wont lock via remote and when I get in after I manually lock them, the alarm goes off and wont allow me to start my car. I took the negative line off the battery to stop the alarm. That reset something and i was able to start the car. The windows and doors work, but doors have to lock manually. If I lock all doors manually minus driver door no alarm goes off when I reopen and start car. But if I lock all doors and driver door via key, alarm goes off. I have since dried the keys out and replaced the remote batteries still remote work. suggestions?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: battery is good
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yep
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: see above
JA: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?
Customer: in the past I have been in my car with my keys out of ignition and randomly alarm has gone off, no problems with power windows though, and last month i by accident left my keys in the car and it locked on me
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
6/13/2016
VW Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 1 year ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I have seen in some cases where the drivers door latch itself can fail internally causing this fault here needing replaced.It sends a signal when it is locked and unlocked and if it is sending a false signal it causes the alarm to go off in some cases like this.

Also with the key issue almost every time I have seen an electronic key dropped in water it can corrode the electronics in the electronic key or short out the electronic key and cause this issue here needing replaced as a complete key assembly unfortunately.If the remote still does not work properly and you have dried it out I suspect the key itself will need replaced and has to be obtained from a dealer.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks pete, I'm pretty sure its the remote too. reading the forums seem to show greater issues attributed to non remote connected solutions.

Your welcome.The remote is a common component that fails especially when it gets wet unfortunately.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician