vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

2002 VW Beetle, TDI - purchased used 2 yrs. ago - Issues:

Customer Question

2002 VW Beetle, TDI - purchased used 2 yrs. ago - Issues: electric windows don't work , interior lights , door locks , rear hatch release , heated power mirrors don't work.
Thought it to be too many issues to be individual components/systems.
Have since (by reading blogs) replaced the Convenience Control Module , drivers-side window motor, drivers side electric lock module, drivers side window switches. Problem still exists.
Have discovered: when power is interrupted, either at battery or unplugging the pin/plug connector at the driver's side window motor - The windows will function for about 5 - 10 minutes then stop functioning. Passenger door , when locked will immediately unlock when using the switch. Mirrors, interior lights, rear hatch release have not regained momentary functionality.
Most recently: Glow plug indicator light began flashing approx. 30 seconds after start-up, brake lights stopped working (center brake light still functions) , cruse control stopped working ( all at the same time).
Have replaced the brake light switch - checked fuses . All problems still exist.
This is driving me NUTS !
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

on your issue . can you unplug the passenger side window motor and see if the operation of the drivers door comes back to life?

i do need a vin # ***** assist

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for responding .Unplugged the passenger window motor - no functionality on the driver window. When I interrupt the power, I get about 5 - 10 minute of function with each window , with their respective switches. Can't operate the passenger window from the driver , but can function the passenger window with the passenger switch.vin: 3vwcp21c62m407136Wondering if we address the brake lights, cruse control , flashing glow plug indicator light first . This one just started and have to use the car for a trip tomorrow - if possible . Hoping for the best - I live in a remote area and parts stores are at least 3 hr round trip.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additional note: plugged passenger window back in . I get tempory functionality with the passenger switch, but not at the driver's switch. Driver's side window does not function after this test.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

do you have vag com scan tool? to check for codes in the ecu?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Borrowed a reader from O'Reillys Auto , Codes recorded: P0672 , P0673 , P0128
672 &673 indicate glow plug , 128 low coolant temp has be tripping since I've had the car.
Is the (2) & (3) in the glow plug code corresponding to their positions ? - The flashing glow plug light tripped about 45 minutes into a 1.25 hours drive, this is when the cruse control stopped working & brake lights quit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additional note: I tested the glow plugs with a test light . All show good . Upon cold start-up ( 55-60 degrees) the indicator is illuminated for 5 -6 seconds .
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

I need you to remove the glow plug harness and measure the resistance of each glow plug to ground . middle top to grouns and let me know what is the reistance

thanks