Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical
47606789

MK2 GTI, indicator light is alays on, although very dim.

Customer Question

Hi, MK2 GTI, indicator light is alays on, although very dim. When turn signal activated, indicator light gets bright but turn signals do not work. When flasher activated , flashers work correctly and indicator light also flashes correctly. Help ??
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: not required
JA: I'll pass this info along to the VW Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes, I am sure it is something simple
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked all bulbs good, they work in flasher mode
JA: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

To my mind the fault is inside the emergency flasher switch. To check this you can check is there is 12volt on terminal 49A when the ignition is on and the emergency switch is in the off position. This wire feed current to the indicator switch on the steering colom. The current comes from the fuse on terminal X then thru the contacts inside the switch and out on terminal 49A to the steering colom switch.

If you find the X has 12v and 49A does not have 12v then you will have to replace the emergency switch.

This should answer your question but if you need more assistance please do not hesitate to ask.

Greertings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Martin,So, if this was the case, the 4 way flashers would work, but when the flasher switch is off, the turn signals don't ? And if all is good here, then the problem is in the indicator on the steering columm ?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

The fault is usually inside the flasher switch. Yes the 4 way and indicators do not work from same power point. The emergency flasher switch controls the power to the indicators or the emergency flashers inside the switch.

So you would probably have to replace the switch.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I could not find the markings as you said, on the switch or on the socket ? If I unplug the switch from the socket, nothing changes. ? What is the actual relay that is activated when the turn signal is used > To me, that is the problem, not a power source or anything in the wiring. The Flashers work correctly, just that the indicator light glows weakly when the ignition is on, and steadily bright when the Turn signal is used.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

I have found some pictures of a MK 2 GTI Golf.

If this is the correct car and switch then this should help you.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Martin, Yes, that's my car, even down to the Momo wheel !The hazard switch and socket are identical.Where is the turn Indicator switch ? Is that in the steering column ?Mark
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Mark

Yes the turn indicator switch is in the steering column. The flasher unit relay is on the fusebox. But to my mind the fault lies with the emergency flasher switch, it is not sending the current thru to the indicator switch. Or the fuse is blown.

The current comes from the fuse to the emergency switch on terminal 15 and out on terminal 49A.

Greetings,

Martin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally sorted it out, One of the bulbs was not seated correctly ! Removed and re-seated and all is good. Weird that it was fine in running lights and 4 way flasher, but not in turn signal mode.Thanks for your help
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

The bulb was causing a cross wiring causing current the to go directly to the earth but with a bad connection is the only thing that I can make of it. Not something that one will be able to think of. Glad you got the problem sorted.

Greetings,

Martin.