Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign& Domestic vehicles
45790705

I was told that a defective instrument cluster was causing

Customer Question

I was told that a defective instrument cluster was causing my 2004 jetta Gl not to start. Could this diagnosis be correct ?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Dealer that has my 2004 jetta gl is saying it wont start because it has a defective instrument cluster. Could this be correct ?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, I just want to make sure that this diagnosis is correct; I've never heard of an instrument cluster causing car to not start
JA: OK! The VW Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will try to assist you

was any fault codes given to you , did they run a scan ?

and engine size please . thanks

A defective cluster will cause your no start condition ,if the security system doesn't see the instrument cluster when you turn the ignition switch on It want allow it to run .

I have changed several at my shop before . but proper diagnostics has to be performed to know

A POSITIVE RATING IS MUCH APPRECIATED

This post will stay open even after you rate me to ask me any follow up questions you may have on this issue

Thank You

Chad ( akaCustomer