VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

02 Jetta 2.0 Changing water pump; do not under stand how to set tensioner. Help!...

Customer Question
02 Jetta 2.0 Changing water...
02 Jetta 2.0 Changing water pump; do not under stand how to set tensioner. Help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
6/2/2016
VW Mechanic: Randall, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician

hello, what procedure do you not follow? what tensioner? timing belt or drive belt?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Timing belt

ok, thanks, ***** ***** have you tried, what are you not understanding. I am trying to gather as much information as I can so as to avoid duplicate answers etc, Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The tensioner with the 2 arrows on back side of it as you look at it from the front. It says to rotate back and forth 5 times before installing belt,then hold pressure with your thumb to make sure it stays tight. I need a second opinion cause I dont trust myself. Thanks for trying to help me,

well, not there looking but as long as you have followed the directions and the line up marks you see are within the setting, you are just fine, If they are not lining up? then belt is wrong ( doubt that) or weak tensioner, Thos back marks are for the shop tech to see if belt has stretched, You need to have the marks pretty close to lined up, here is picture alos which you have

• ension toothed belt. Turn the toothed belt tensioner -T10020- on the eccentric to the left (direction of arrow) all the way until it stops
  • Then release the tension on the toothed belt until until alignment notch -1- and the alignment tab -2- match up with each other. (use a mirror).
  • Tighten mounting nuts to 20 Nm
  • Turn the crankshaft two turns and set the No. 1 cylinder to TDC. When doing this it is important that the last 45°(1/8 turn) is turned without interruption.
  • Check tension of toothed belt again.

- Specified value: The alignment tab and alignment notch match up with each other.

Randall
Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician