Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Have a 2012 Passat, 2.5 in the shop. AC compressor not

Customer Question

Have a 2012 Passat, 2.5 in the shop. AC compressor not kicking on. Freon level is good, probing with 12V at compressor turns it on, apparently there is no relay, and probing a green wire behind the climate control assy will also kick on the compressor but not that condenser fan. Condenser fan does kick on with cooling fan when car gets to operating temperature. My guess is it is the climate control assy but there isn't much wiring info on pro demand to do any further testing. High pressure switch does get 4V to signal wire. Any ideas?
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. did you scan the a/c module for codes?please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are an indie shop, we don't have a scanner that has the capability to scan AC modules.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
what scanner do you have ? make and model?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Innova 5500, it doesn't do any AC modules.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
you have to see if there is a compressor shut off code in the system this will cause the a/c system not to operate correctly!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no way to diagnose this without scanning the AC??
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
unfortunately not because if there is a shut off code stored it must be cleared with either vag com to get the system operational. if there is other codes then they need to be addressed!! the compressor is run by pulsing the voltage so if you unplug the connector and try to test this will disable the a/c system till the code clears. Scan tool is needed!!!