Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

My 2003 jetta vr6 imobilizer light flashes on the dash and

Customer Question

my 2003 jetta vr6 imobilizer light flashes on the dash and the car will start then shut down. Is there a way I can fix this without taking it into the shop? Shop rate to diagnos is 98 dollars per hour. I changed the battery because I had one dead cell. I also saw a thread about having a battery charger hooked up and left the car in the on position for an hour and still the same imobilizer still flashes. Any suggestions? Thanks.
JA: Battery issues can be tough to diagnose - lots of things to consider. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: read what I typed and you will see what I have tried.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: No not really.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Eddie here, Did this problem happen after you changed the battery? Or was this immobilizer issue happening before and you changed the battery after noticing it, also, does it happen all the time? or can you still use the vehicle at all? thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happened prior to changing the battery. 6 months ago is when it first happened. I thought the keys dumped their codes do I took it to the local dealer and they said they tried to program both keys but no luck. One of the cells in my battery was bad so I replaced it yesterday. Also the block on top of the battery with the fuseable links had the terminal from the alternator had melted. I figured it was because the alternator was trying to charge the battery and sent too much voltage to thst terminal. That's about all
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright, and this problem is occuring all the time, meaning the car will not start at all correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car will not run. It will start then die after about one or two seconds. The imbolizer light just keeps flashing. I was deployed to Afghanistan so it was not a priority until now.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright, do you have a spare key to the vehicle you can try by chance? or do you have just one key?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried both keys and same result.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I highly doubt both keys have failed, it's possible but not likely, Did you check all your fuses? namely fuse number 111 and 144 both 15 amp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where are they located?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Says interior fuse panel, Let me post the diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there 2 fuse panels. And what do they call fuse 111 and 144?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Here is the diagram showing the fuses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are these fuses on the main panel just inside the drivers door? I looked at the diagram on the computer that shows the layout and there are not fuses 111 and 144 it only goes to fuse 40. is there another panel somewhere else?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
No there isn't, Not sure why they labelled them like that, but it's wrong, are all those fuses good on the side of the dash? You can touch them with a test light just on the tips of the fuses with the key on and the light should light on both sides of the fuses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the panel by the drivers knee and there are a few modules and one 15 amp fuse. When I removed the fuse I saw that it was blown. I changed the fuse and it blew right away. Any suggestions where to start to see what is causing this. It is either a grounding issue or too much voltage is that correct? Do you know how much voltage should be there?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Should be battery voltage there, It is definitely a short right to ground, Now for me to say where over the internet without looking at it, would be absolutely impossible. but you have a bare wire touching ground somewhere, What fuse number is ***** that is blowing immediately? did it blow as soon as you turned the key ON? or as soon as you plugged it in, it blew?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I turned on the ignition to start it blows at that moment. When I put it to on it does not blow. The imobilizer still flashes before I go to start.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Unplug the small gauge wire off the starter motor, and see if it blows then when you turn it to START position.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
About all your powering up there from ON to START is the starter motor, so lets see if unplugging it makes any difference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think the fuse is number 111. It has a red and a yellow wire coming out of it. I have to go and buy some more fuses. I will continue going through your diagram after I get some more fuses. I will try the starter motor wire when I get back. Get some sleep and I will continue this later. If I still don't have it figured out tomorrow will I still get you back on the line? You have been very helpful but I may still need guidance.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
I'll be on some tom. afternoon. let me know what happens. thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Any luck unplugging the starter motor and trying it that way? thanks.