VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Need to replace the combo rubber stop/inside grip on my

Customer Question
Hi Need to replace...

Hi Need to replace the combo rubber stop/inside grip on my 2002 Eurovan sliding door. I have panel removal tools. Any tricks, potential hang-ups?Thanks, ***** *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

There's this single hunk of black rubber (expensive) that stops the sliding door from hitting the back post and also serves as a passenger handle to release the door. My VW dealer wants $300 to do the job. My new part cost $70.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yup

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

I've stared at it. Hoping to find a video online but all I could find was diagrams of sliding door components. The rubber stop has a single bolt hole so I figure the genius part of the operation is getting the panel off and on without wrecking it - so I need some advise before I start pulling it off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?

No, except it's getting warm in Tucson and I'm gonna sweat working on it in my carport.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
Answered in 2 days by:
4/25/2016
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. i do need some more info. I do need the vin # ***** the vehicle can you supply the pic of the part and the location of it so i can refer to the factory manual to assist!!thanks
I sent your pictures today in a reply to the justanswer email - so they can forward to you. All I really want to know is:
Is there any trick or possible problem area in R&R the panel? Maybe this is an auto trimmer question not a mechanical one.
Good luck. Mike the Home Mechanic
i did not received any email yet ! i want to help but without the vin and pics of what you are trying to do .
VIN: WV2MB47051H125458 as previously sent.
Let's stop this. I can take the car to an upholstery shop and they'll do the job for me. No hard feelings - we're not a match.
hey i waited for the email but nothing came back!!
Can't help that you're not getting my emails. Couldn't send pictures via these comment boxes so I sent them in reply to the Just Ask emails - they don't forward them, do they? I sent you the VIN twice in this box. Let's call it a day. No hard feelings, Mike the Auto-Erotic Mechanic
got it!!