VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I have a 2001 Beetle 1.8 Turbo. When it is idling it runs rough.

Customer Question
I unplug the Mass Air...
I have a 2001 Beetle 1.8 Turbo. When it is idling it runs rough. I unplug the Mass Air Sensor and it idles fine. I have changed the Mass Air sensor and it does the same thing. It is also hard to keep running when you first startup
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The Check engine light is activated when the sensor is unplugged.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — VW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
4/15/2016
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang , Master VW tech here to help!!Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. were there any other codes stored when you had a scan test ? what code 3's were stored? thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
P0300 and P0102 are the stored codes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The check engine light went off when the mass air flow sensor was hooked back up
what scan tool are you using? make and model?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
CEN-TECH Model OBEDII/EOBED DELUCE SCAN TOOL
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The engine seems to be running and idling good right now..
Still need to know what the problem is
vag com is needed to see if the vehicle is running lean . which i do believe so !!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks..Not much help but thanks anyway
without special tools its hard to pinpoint !!! let me know if you still need help
vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced