How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask vwnewton Your Own Question
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Category: VW
Satisfied Customers: 307
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
Type Your VW Question Here...
vwnewton is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2001 VW Jetta with a 1.8L

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** *****. I have a 2001 VW Jetta with a 1.8L turbo engine. The check engine light is on and I am trying to fix the problem. I took it to a mechanic and he ran the code reader. I have a list of the codes but yesterday I was looking under the hood and saw a huge split in one of the hoses coming from the turbo. I looked up the part number and it's called the crankcase breather hose. I'm wondering if that could cause the codes that the check engine light is giving. The codes are: 17965 control valve pressure 17704 error in mapped cooling. 17705 pressure drop between turbo and throttle valve. 17545 furl trim bank 1
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The part number is ***** I live in Oregon so I'm trying to get my car to pass DEQ
JA: OK got it. Last thing — VW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!! Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative. where that hose is split you need to check the other breather hoses . if there is any oil on the hose and very soft it needs to be replaced. these breather hoses needs to be rectified first and may resolve most of the issues . a pic of the engine and hoses would be great so i can verify this!! thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick feedback. Here are some photos of the engine and hose. I can take more pictures if necessary.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks for the pics . that of course needs to be rectified but look under the intake manifold on top f the oil filter housing make sure that is not oily there. that is very common area where breather hoses and vacuum hoses break . look very closely!!