VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

Working on a 99 jetta 2.8 L 12 valve. I replaced the head

Customer Question
gasket, put it back together...
working on a 99 jetta 2.8 L 12 valve. I replaced the head gasket, put it back together, I have it timed properly. turned key on engine starts but runs very very rough. sounds out of time. checked timing again its good. noticed hydraulic lifers are not holding out. I put new lifters in (soaked lifters in oil bath 48 hours before installing). put new cam sensor in, and new chain tensioner on. started car still runs rough checked hydraulic lifters #1 and #2 are not holding oil. I'm at a loss, could it be an oil pump or am I missing something
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
3/30/2016
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

how long did you let the engine run and did you hold at 2000 rpm for at least 2 minutes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I let the engine run for 5 min at an idle. I did not apply gas because while it was idling it was backfiring in the intake. I was afraid by applying gas I would damage the valves
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was told by a VW dealership mechanic not to apply any gas just to let it idle. but while it is sitting there idling the engine looks like its bucking, rough running, seems to be out of time (which all marks match) and and back firing in the intake

is the coil and wires new ?

what happens if you spray water n the coil while running does it get worse?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
should I start the care and run it at 2000 RMPs and try that? I did not spray water on the coil.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tested the compression on the cylinders and it was good at 175. checked fuel pressure it was good. spark to cylinders are good. haven't checked to see if coil is bad.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the coil and wire are not new
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there

im here trying to get the kids to sleep!!

175 is real good!!1

i would start the car and then go at 1000 rpm then inch it up to 1500 and see if it starts to clear up. does it pop at 1500 rpm?

is the fuel real old?

how long did the car sit not running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if it's popping it won't hurt for me to do that

well the lifters needs to pump up and higher oil pressure is needed to force the air out. so that is why i have asked at 1000 and then 1500 to see if it still pops and is the fuel old ? how long did it sit before running again?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I soaked the lifters for 48 hours and. Car was running when I pulled it in (rough though) it sat 4 days till I got it back together
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ran it up to 1000 still back firing. Sprayed water on coil that did not work. I'm at a loss

i have seen where the cams were flat did you inspect to make sure ? is the ignition wires routed the correct way ? maybe a wire is crossed on the coil . the coil is numbered!! please check

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cams are good checked the spark plug wires they are routed properly

so you have the valve cover off ? pic of the head and cams? so i can have a look see? scan test what faults are sored?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will send you some picks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pics

got it thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have check timing replace the spark plugs tested the coil pack put two new injectors in put a new chain tensioner in put new hydraulic lifters in my problem is cylinder1 hydraulic lifters are not maintaining oil and I was wondering if that would be an oil pump issue on oil switch issue something blocking the head oil
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a feeling it has to do with the oil getting to the lifters and I was wasn't sure if there was something that would cause that issue

do you have a manual oil gauge to see what is the oil pressure?

why was the head removed curiosity?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I remove the head to do a head gasket I've gotten a lot of different head gaskets but never a VW head gasket followed all the steps on removing and putting back on again and installation when I put the head back on but everything back together noticed that the hydraulic lifters or not holding a oil charge so I bought all new lifters all of them seem to be holding a charge except cylinder1
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know what the oil pressure should be on a 99 Volkswagen Jetta 2.8 liter

need a vin to get the factory specs

did it blow a gasket or another issue? explain

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There was coolant in the cylinders she ran the oil down to 2 quarts coolant was in the oil got the old head gasket off you could see were it had broken through
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's definitely running like the valves are not opening on cylinder1 end of hydraulic lifters are not pumping up with oil but why only cylinder1 not why not all of the cylinders hydraulic lifters should not be working if the oil pressure is low
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could you send me a schematic of the timing marks for this car I know they're on the crank pulley and the grooves on the cam and there's a third one on the intermediate shaft going to the top chain

sure let me get that!! need vin # *****

ok let me work on this and will get back later . got a 1hr drive just to get home . is that ok?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

will get back later thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Were you able to get that timing mark on the back side of the engine on the transmission
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A picture of it I mean

this is the pics when on tdc

6e52bb2f-eb43-4791-938a-...png6e52bb2...png3fa5ca2f-1e0a-42bf-8cd4-...png3fa5ca2...pngb23b7e8e-3057-4963-9755-...pngb23b7e8...png1a0c9603-d7a6-4993-9378-...png1a0c960...png

check at the crank front . its the "33.png" file that is tdc

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is how much the crank pulley is off on the front if the flywheel Mark is lined up with the transmission Mark I have read where some of those marks on the flywheel are six degrees past top dead center with that pertain to this one if so that would put my cams off one tooth

line up the crank to the mark then on the cams there are slots at the end and both must be level hence the lock tool. how many miles on the motor? chain may be stretched (known issue)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks like the chain guide broke at one point because there's drag marks on the casing there's a hundred and seventy thousand miles on this car I lined up the crank and had the cams level with their there grooves with the head when I turn the engine on it felt like it was out of time so I did some research because they don't sell manuals for this type of vehicle or at least I can't find one for 2.8 I worked on cars for last 6 years and never ran into a vehicle with so many hard part's to find and hard to find manuals for almost like it was out of time when it was brought to me it had 2 quarts of oil in it it ran rough but not to the point of being out of time when I pulled the head off as very careful to make sure that the engine was at top dead center and then cylinder1 cam lobes were off the hydraulic lifters and we're pointing at about a 45 degree angle away from the head I'm kind of at a loss right now I've been working on it for the last 2 weeks and it's very very very very frustrating and then when I read about on some of the clutch flywheel having that Mark and then having a mark six degrees behind your top dead center I thought maybe that was the case with this one that's why I sent you the picture of the transmission and flywheel marks and then the front case and crank pulley mark

show me the pic of the cam lobes on #1 if you can!!!

are the lifters now touching the cam on #1? if you use a flat screwdriver can they be compressed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but not always and they are new
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sometimes they seem to build pressure and sometimes they seem to lose pressure do I have oil coming into them I can see it coming up around the hydraulic cylinder
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I installed new ones the old ones would not hold a charge

did you make sure the valve springs are good ? maybe soft?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When the car is running it backfires through the intake like the valves are not opening on the exhaust side feels and sounds like car is out of time

soft valve springs can do the same thing!!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Why would the hydraulic lifters be soft and if the Springs were soft

you have to remember that the lifter is on top of the valve and the spring under so the you may think the lifter is soft but it is relly the spring!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The spring tension on them seems to be good there's nothing that's really low so I have to put a lot of pressure on the valves move them down

what gets me that 175 psi is great compression. i see you replaced 2 injectors which ones? and scan test what codes are stored?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1 injector was broke on removal the other injector was not working able to test that and found out it was open cylinders 3 and 4 injectors also came up with a code for can sensor voltage to high replaced that becuase it was damaged at some point in the past I will send you screenshots the codes are able to pull out of the car
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also sent a picture of the cylinder head before I cleaned it up
20160327_162433.jpg2016032...jpg20160329_174455.jpg2016032...jpg20160329_174503.jpg2016032...jpg20160329_174507.jpg2016032...jpg20160329_174510.jpg2016032...jpg20160329_174517.jpg2016032...jpg20160327_162429.jpg2016032...jpg20160325_183533.jpg2016032...jpg20160303_145756.jpg2016030...jpg
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ANY idea
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it be the oil check valve in the block

have you performed leak down test #1?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
everything seems to be ok on that end could you send me a diagram of the vacuum lines and where they go to what components to make sure that the vacuum lines are crossed and I'm also going to repair a couple because the rubber tubing on them is kind of wore out and really soft
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I have got all problems fixed except one choose keeps coming up p1432 do you have a diagram do l for worrying for the system also components location

seconday injection solenoid open circuit. that valve is in front of the motor near the air pump. either it is unplugged or a broken wire

vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced