VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2012 Jetta TDI says EGR is sporadic. Well Wednesday I had…

Customer Question
2012 Jetta TDI says...

2012 Jetta TDI says EGR is sporadic.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Well Wednesday I had the glow plug on and flashing. Car was very sluggish and wouldn't run in drive. Dealer said it was chafing of wires that go around the oil cooler bracket and it was causing the problem. Wanted 900 to pull radiator and fix wires. Told the not no but hell no. Today I took the air box, battery and plastic cover off top end. Didn't find any wires chafed but did find some oil socked protective coating on the Barnes coming up to injector rail area. However I did find the 2" hose coming out of back of air box was disconnected and had a hole in it. I fixed that, no wire issues could I find like the dealer said. Put everything back together with 2" hose connected back and no more problem. Hmmmm Now, I had it scanned and the check engine light is on and can't remember the codes but it is dealing with EGR being sporadic high.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
Ok, looks like 28$ not 18$. Can the EGR be replaced without removing the entire setup
Well more info, just took it for a test ride. Everything went smooth. Got the car up to about 90 on the runway and then the glow plug light started flashing and about 40 is all it will do.
3/8/2016
VW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

1st check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you