Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

Need to replace the alternator 2003 passat 1.8 t, if i can

Customer Question

need to replace the alternator 2003 passat 1.8 t
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if i can get clear directions then yes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: i dont think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can see how to get the tensioner and belt off but not sure about what else needs to come off like maybe the throttle body and how the turbo affects that. is there just one bolt holding the alternator in?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do all I can to help. You do not need to remove the throttle body or intake manifold to get the alternator off, however the fan does have to come off to get the bottom Alt. bolt out. Here are some illustrations that may help.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

To remove the fan pulley, refer to this illustration.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

There are two bolts holding the alternator in, one at the bottom and one at the top that you can see. Let me know if you have any further questions, I believe these illustrations will show you how to get the alternator removed and replaced. Thank you.