VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Need to replace the alternator 2003 passat 1.8 t, if i can…

Customer Question
Need to replace the...

Need to replace the alternator 2003 passat 1.8 t

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

If i can get clear directions then yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?

I dont think so

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
I can see how to get the tensioner and belt off but not sure about what else needs to come off like maybe the throttle body and how the turbo affects that. is there just one bolt holding the alternator in?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2016
VW Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do all I can to help. You do not need to remove the throttle body or intake manifold to get the alternator off, however the fan does have to come off to get the bottom Alt. bolt out. Here are some illustrations that may help.

There are two bolts holding the alternator in, one at the bottom and one at the top that you can see. Let me know if you have any further questions, I believe these illustrations will show you how to get the alternator removed and replaced. Thank you.