VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2009 Jetta. Had a problem with battery going dead. But I was…

Customer Question
2009 Jetta. Had...

2009 Jetta. Had a problem with battery going dead. But I was told battery tested ok. I reset or simply took out fuses and put them back in for both the inside fuse box and outside (engine). The car although if you jumped it would start then refused to go in gear. I replaced battery, and still the same issue along with various lights coming on the dash, check engine etc. I figured out how to get the car in gear by pushing in a button on the stick, but what is going on here? I read something about an MU possibly going bad when I checked fuses? Or I have misplaced fuses when I reset them?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Hello? sorry

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
Any updates? On your site you mention "You'll get a response here, by email, and by text message - often in 10 minutes or less and always within a day." Would like to get this addressed before parts stores close and while i have the time available (off day), thanks.
3/7/2016
VW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You have a couple different issues going on. You have a battery draw if the battery is dying while the car is sitting at rest but outside of setting low battery voltage codes, that wouldn't be related to most or all of your warning lights. If the shifter won't come out of park then you most likely have a brake switch circuit issue, and that may be causing at least some of the warning lights.

What lights are coming on besides the engine light?

Do you know what fault codes are setting?

Hi, I need to add another symptom. Since changing the battery yesterday it seems to start fine. I was told initially the battery was still good but not sure how accurate that was since it looked like the original. I replaced the battery. The additional symptom was that when I was trying to go to Autozone I noticed it does not shift gears. When I got to autozone the guy ran a scan and said the transmission was not communicating with something, maybe ECU? Anyway there are 2 relays in the fuse box in the engine, I replaced both (disconnected the battery before I replaced them), it did not make any difference. So the lights on that I am aware of, Malfunction Indicator Lamp,, Electro Mechanical Power steering assist failure, bulb failure, air bag disabled, ESP or ASR malfunctioning. So just to review. Battery issue had to jump it, was going to take to it autozone but thought I would reseat the fuses. After I reseated the fuses, all the lights came on the dash, would not get out of park. I changed the battery, starts ok now. I took it to autozone, changed R1 and R2, still the same issues, lights on dash, have to manually push button on stick to get it out of gear, transmission does not shift. Also hearing some sort of clicking noise in front of vehicle after I turn it off. This is amazing.

The battery was most likely bad if it was original.

Do you know what P codes were found in the engine controller?

I do not know what P codes were found.

They didn't give you a printout showing what codes were found?

No they did not.

Have you double checked to make sure fuses were reinstalled into the correct locations?

If I knew exactly what those are supposed to be I would do that. I have a manual for 2009 jetta but not all fuse locations are listed and not all slots have fuses in them. I have been trying to track down all fuse locations inside and in engine but not having any luck.

Were they removed one at a time and put back?

Of course they were but that does not mean something wasn't missed or inadvertently placed in incorrect location.

The first thing I would recommend is attempting to make sure the fuses did get back to the correct spots. Further diagnosis is going to require a scan tool capable of communication with any module that controls the system there is a warning light for. The first step will be to check for communication and see what fault codes are set if communication is possible. If communication isn't possible with a module yet fuses are good and in the correct locations then power and ground would need to be tested at the module itself to determine if there is an internal failure or wiring issue.