VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Stuck in 2nd gear, automatic trans. it was coded solinoid…

Customer Question
Stuck in 2nd gear...

Stuck in 2nd gear, automatic trans. it was coded for shifting solinoid but was told by a mech. a friend that the shifting solinoid rarely goes out. That it must be the TCM and it's under the carpet. If not the trans. is shot!

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

The veh is a 2001 Jetta with 2.0 engine Yes, somewhat mechanicaly inclined. Is there a special way to get at the TCM.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?

It was shifting fine one day and the next, it stuck in 2nd?? Can'

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
3/5/2016
VW Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

.

Do you know what the code(s) was that is setting?

no, was told shifting solonoid
I would rather not try and change out the shifting solonoid inside the transmission. I want to try the TCM but I donl't know how to access the unit. I know it is under the carpet on the passenger side of the vehicle but don't want to cut the carpet to access it. There must be another way.

I see, thanks. Is it a Jetta GL Sedan with the 2.0?

I don't suggest taking the carpet out just yet though. I don't know of any that the TCM is there.