VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

2000 VW Beetle with the 1.9 Diesel. We had the car given to…

Customer Question
2000 VW Beetle with the...
2000 VW Beetle with the 1.9 Diesel. We had the car given to us as it has had a lot of emissions problems. I have gotten most of them corrected. This is the wifes' car and I rarely drive it. A couple of years we were in WV and it went into what I later found was a safe mode prob
programmed into the computer. Restarting the car always corrected it. Now, apparently the turbo hasn't worked for a while which I just found out. Just about every emissions component has been replaced except the MAP sensor. My Haynes manual shows it in a spot that isn't correct. I was told in may be o the inner side of the intercooler but I can't find it. I have a new one to put in. According to what I can determine the MAP controls the turbo waste gate which may explain my problems with the turbo. Where the #@$% is this MAP sensor and will it keep the turbo from kicking in?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/5/2016
VW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

there are several engine variants for this year if you can locate the engine number and tell me the 3 letter code

ahould be AGR, ATD or ALH

the ATD and AGR variant has the MAP sensor in the end tank of the intercooler whereas the ALH version does without one