VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

My name is ***** *****. I have the turbocharger boost

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. I have the turbocharger boost control position sensor circuit (a) low, fault code. I have checked the operation of the vane actuator with a vacuum pump, it holds a vacuum and operates the actuator between approx. 5-20 inHg. The wiring seems to be ok with what I can see. I need to know a few things. The vacuum at idle is 28.5 inhg. the actuator pulls to the stop and stays there at idle(as soon as you start the engine) Normal? I need to know electrical checks(ohmage) to see if the electrical side has failed on the VNT smart actuator. Any simple tests. Long story short I feel electrical is my issue unless the vacuum should be changing but isn't, which I have only checked at idle. Thinkin' about T-ing into the vacuum feed to the VNT and hooking that up to a gauge..go driving and see if the vacuum changes values.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

2004 Jetta TDI, BEW. CEL with code 18996.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
3/3/2016
VW Mechanic: Kevin, VW Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic

Hi I'm Kevin do you have a scan tool that reads live data?

No. Freeze frame. CEL came on after car start not while driving. I need to check voltages/ohms and vacuum, I know. Disconnected vacuum off of N75 and had definite lag in accceleration(no turbo assist).
I wonder if you disconnect the plug from a good VNT smart actuator if you would get the same code or something in the ballpark

I will opt out i would need to know live values to assist

VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Hello I'm Wolfgang. I do need a vin# ***** to get repair info. Thanks