VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have an 04 jetta bew. cranks and then fires second then…

Customer Question
I have an 04 jetta...
I have an 04 jetta bew. cranks and then fires for a second then dies. will only run on starting fluid. has new lift pump fuel filter and tandom pump. timing marks are on. has good compression. have p0321. crank sensor is new. shows rpm signal when cranking. glow plug light comes on. anyone have any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
3/3/2016
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Hello I'm Wolfgang. I do need a vin# ***** Second what scan tool are you using? Make and model. Timing marks ???? What did you reference the marks to? Was a timing belt replaced recently? Thanks

Hi Wolfgang I'm Carl. 3VWSR69M64M068214. I'm using a snap on solus edge. I have double checked the timing marks. Yes i just replaced the t-belt ,the camshaft, did a valve job, and re-sealed the injectors. i attached some pics of my timing marks. i have fuel pressure at the tandem pump, which is also brand new.

The bottom crank tool what is the tool # *****? Also the pic does show that it is not fitting correctly. There are 2 different tools to lock the crank so to make sure that is the correct one. Thanks

Going through the cylinder head rebuild. How did you adjust the lash on the injectors. How was the camshaft ? Was it flat and the lifters was concaved? I want to make sure of the basics. Do you have a vag com? Thanks

I turned the crank until the exhaust lobe was up and then I screwed down the adjuster and backed off 180. Same way a lot of people do it. The cam was very worn and 3 or 4 of the lifters were broken . No I don't have vag com .

so a new cam and lifters was installed?

ok is the crank sensor from the vw dealer or aftermarket?

From the dealer .

Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor -G28- electrical harness connector terminalsDiesel Direct Fuel Injection (DFI) Engine Control Module (ECM) -J248- electrical harness connector T121 terminals

1 - 102 ecu

2 - 110 ecu

3 Ground (GND)

you need to do a resistance check from the crank sensor to the ecm make sure that it is less than 1.5 ohm resistance

then make sure that there is no shorts from pin 1 to pin 2 of the crank sensor with the ecu is disconnected.

let me know

Ok I can do that . Do you think if there was a problem on the crank sensor circuit that it wouldn't be showing an rpm signal ?

yes the code is for implausible signal so the wiring needs to be checked for integrity.

I don't have any short between 1 and 2. I do have continuity between pins 2 and 3. I found where the brown wire goes to the ECU . That wire is good . But I can't find where the wires on pins 2 and 3 connect to the ECU. Also I do know my horn relay is bad I don't know if that is on the same circuit .

ok pin 3 is your shielded ground to prevent rfi. pin 1 goes to pin 58 of the 60 pin connector and pin 2 to pin 43 of the 60 pin connector so 2 and 3 will have continuity but 1 will not have continuity with 2 and 3 . sorry info wrong on vw end!!

Ok wires 1 and 2 test good with the ecu unplugged. Wire 3 has no continuity to ground unplugged . Plugged into the ecu all 3 wires have continuity to ground and to each other .

Just need to check unplugged. Does 2-3 with Ecu unplugged has less than 1.5 ohms resistance ?

they have almost zero.
Wait never mind I believe it was a half ohm

ok that means the wiring is ok . next is a visual of the tooth wheel make sure that there is no debris or runout of the wheel itself

Ok I guess the best way to look is through the crank sensor hole? So you think there is definitely a crank sensor related problem and it isn't just throwing that code because the car isn't starting starting ?

yes correct.

when you spray wd 40 in the intake will then the car run and stay running?

ok vag com is needed . what scan tool you have? i need to see what the ecu seeing on timing

It's a snap on solus edge

does it have euro loaded?

I can get a data list .. I'm not sure if it shows torsion values is that what you need to see ?

i need you from the opening screen select volkswagen then expert mode and then select 01 engine module and then while running select 08 read measure value blocks and then 004 and give me the readings!!

Ok I will get on it thanks . It is an aftermarket timing belt but the marks are on .

i understand that but the upper gear is adjustable so need to see what is the timing!!

Oh ok so the even though the arrow is in between the two tabs it still might need tweaked just a little?

maybe so !!!

Ok I was only able to get it to run for 4 or 5 seconds at a time and the readings didn't seem to change at any point. Here a pic. Also I don't know if it matters but I was only able to get it to run on starting fluid not WD-40 . I did wipe some debris off the crank sensor but it didn't change anything. I did not see any damage or debris's on the reluctor wheel .

Do you have fuel at the pump. Do you know that you have 2 pumps one in the tank. Thst is a transfer pump. This is sounding more like a fuel issue. Disconnect the feed line to the tandem pump and direct wire the tank fuel pump the outer 2 terminals. Note look at the connector the brown wire is ground. Do you have fuel transfer?

the lift pump ,fuel filter , and tandem pump are brand new. I have pressure at the tandem pump it sprays out when I loosen the clamp. So the data list looked ok or could you tell ? Would the injectors necessarily set a code if they were bad ? Is there a good way to tell if I'm loosing fuel pressure past the injector seals ?

Is the glow plugs wet?

They are dry as a bone
If it were a carbon build up problem I would be able to see the clog thru the ASV right ?or is there a better spot to look

Did you reuse the injector harness. Or new one?

I reused it . I tested all the wires they all have continuity . i think they were all a half ohm

It's hard now because the valve cover is on. I have seen the harness gets crossed and causes the injectors not to fire and scrambles the Ecu.

Well I checked the injector harness and all the wires to the ecu . They all had under a half ohm and no contuity to each other . Any other ideas or is it time to give up on this one ?

hey can you get a pic of the cam end with the pin in when you have the timing belt gear off on tdc? i hate for you to do that but need to check the basics!!

you want me to take the cam gear off ? The arrow is dead center in between the tabs and so is the lock pin hole

Do not take the center bolt out just the 3 and take that tooth gear off. But make sure crank set and pin in the top

Well the marks are dead on so I don't think I'm going to pull the belt back off. It does look like there is some fuel getting into the oil . Is there a wAy to tell if I'm loosing fuel pressure past the injectors? Also have you seen that tsb where you add a ground to the crank sensor circuit and reflash the Ecm ?

No tsb on that

There is a pressure port on the tandem pump. Fuel pressure must hold 10 bar when off

I thought you will post a pic with the gear off

I apoligize I just don't see why I should take the gear off when my marks are perfect .
So if the fuel pressure is low then it's safe to say there is a problem with the injector seals since my tandem pump is new? Also thank you for your patience

on the diesel injector there is 2 orings and thd copper crush washer . maybe the orings got chaffed causing leak

Got it well my notch on the cam is at the top . It's pointing straight up . The cam can only go onto the gear one way correct ?
I do think it's possible the orings could have been chafed . So if the fuel pressure is low at the port with the engine off then that's probably the problem is say

are the glow plugs wet?

They do get a little wet when it doesn't fire . Either that or it will run for 2-3 seconds and die .

Is there any flashing yellow light in the dash that has a car with key? Or even when the car is turned on does that light come on?

No the immobilizer light does not come on . It does work In bulb check . I've already tried disconnecting the battery and touching the cables together

did you transfer the woodruff key from the old cam to the new one?

I can't remember but I don't think I would have missed something like that. I'm pretty sure my marks would be off if that thing was walking around.
Well I checked the fuel pressure while I'm cranking it will go up to 150 psi which is the max on my gauge . After I shut it off it will sit around 85 psi .
it's exactly like that .

ok place pin in cam gear top make sure that the pin bottoms out . then loosen the 3 bolts and then rotate smidge the cam gear ccw . then retry to start!!

Ok I loosend the 3 bolts . Rotated the cam a smigde ccw, tried it, another smigde , and another . Still just runs and dies . Now the arrow is pointing right at the top of the bottom tab .
do you still think it's the timing Wolfgang
vwnewton
vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced