VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I purchased a 2001 VW Beetle turbo diesel new and it has…

Customer Question
I purchased a 2001 VW...
I purchased a 2001 VW Beetle turbo diesel new and it has served me well all of these years. However; in the last few days it seems to have died and gone to heaven. I believe it is an electrical problem because after I fully charge it and turn the key it dies again and won't even groan. I checked all of the 15v fuses and they all look healthy and not blown. I am at a complete loss as to what to do and being a senior on a very limited budget I cannot afford to take it to a dealer or other servicing company. Can you give me any advice as to what I might be able to do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
2/29/2016
VW Mechanic: peterpete190, Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is this the battery that is dying out rapidly like this here needing a recharge every time?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

EVERYTHING DIES AND AFTER I FULLY CHARGE THE BATTERY AND TURN THE KEY EVERYTHING DIES IMMEDIATELY. RECHARGING THE BATTERY DOES NOT SEEM TO WORK AT ALL
I really appreciate your quick response. Thanks.

Have you had the battery tested at all to see if you have a bad cell in it?YOu can usually remove the battery and have it tested by a local parts store at no cost to you.If it has a bad cell in it this will cause this issue here and it will need replaced.I have run into this several times before.If this was already tested and found o.k. check and make sure the battery cables are clean and tight at the battery as well as to where the cables run and connect to.

The other component I can think of off the top of my head is a possible fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.This would have to be tested/checked by either a dealer or authorized repair center for this model here unfortunately as this will require their computer to check it and a multi meter to be sure it is the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician