Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I had a P0201 code on my 2002 1.8t vw beetle i replaced the

Customer Question

hi i had a P0201 code on my 2002 1.8t vw beetle i replaced the injectors now my car wont start. It will crank but will not turn over. Checked all the fuses for the fuel pump. I can hear the fuel pump turn on before i start but it still wont turn over
JA: Nice car. The VW Mechanic can help you with your '02 beetle. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: ive inspected the injectors all are new and good. Changed spark plugs. while cranking i got a P0321 code. could that be the problem? Ive also cleared the P0201 code and it hasnt come back.
JA: Are you ready to speak with the VW Mechanic now?
Customer: sure
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Ok to get a P0321 then that's an issue with the crank speed signal into the ECU.

if the crank sensor is faulty then it will never start as the ECU isn't opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.

If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already ordered the sensor. I'm just confused why after changing the injectors will make the sensor go bad. Before I changed the injectors I was able to start the car it give me the p201 code but it would still start.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

its possible that you may have disturbed the wiring loom and broken a wire which was already on its way out

so in 1 way this could be viewed as a good thing as it could have happened at 3am in the middle of nowhere

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are u talking about the loom on top of the fuel rail or the wire on the sensor?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I'm talking about the wire down to the sensor

but equally it could be an issue with the main engine wiring loom where it passes over the top of the engine and through the bulkhead to get back to the ECU

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you