VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I need to know if I can replace my ECM on my 2010 Jetta TDI…

Customer Question
I need to know...

I need to know if I can replace my ECM on my 2010 Jetta TDI auto trans from a 03L906022TT to a 03L906022CM?

Mechanic's Assistant: Nice car. The VW Mechanic can help you with your '10 Jetta TDI. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

The car stalled. Restarted and went 15 feet and stalled again. Then it went a block at about 900 rpms and stalled and wouldn't restart. When I scanned it with a Ross-Tech cable/software I had multiple malfunctions including, 18258, 01196,01315,01314,00668 mostly No signal/communication-intermittent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Replaced all the relays

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you ready to speak with the VW Mechanic now?

Sure

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
2/23/2016
VW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, VW Technician replied 2 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician

It sounds to me like your issue is actually with the 30 power (battery power) and not with the ECM, since you show both the ECM and the TCM dropping out and not communicating. I would start out at the alternator cable to the battery, check connections and check your fuse panels.

Thank you. I checked all fuses first off and none were blown or loose. There is a recall on a fuse that has not been performed yet. I have had a battery drain for 8 months. Thought it was the new aftermarket radio. I also checked the major grounds in the engine compartment. So you think my ECM is not the issue?

No, it is pretty rare for a VW ECM to go bad (so much so that a few years they even issued a bulletin NOT to replace an ECM unless it actually stored a fault for "control module faulty".

I would check the power wire at the ECM and TCM (large red or black wire in the connector, larger than the other wires, and at one end) and also continuity to ground of the ground wire (brown wire, also large in the connector, usually right next to the power wire)

gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician