VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I have a 2000 vw jetta 2.0 was running fine till yesterday

Customer Question
now it will start fine...
i have a 2000 vw jetta 2.0 was running fine till yesterday now it will start fine but idle is rough i can step on gas pedal and it will rev up than it just like the rpm's go down than it will pick up again almost like running out of gas but i smell raw gas!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/22/2016
VW Mechanic: Kevin, VW Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic

Hi im kevin it sounds like you have a missfire ? Is there any juddering ? Shaking ?

Ok and is yours the 2.0 with plug leads or 4 seperate ignition coils?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has i coil pack and all 4 wires plug in to it

Ok i suspect that the coil pack is at fault causing weak spark and giving you a missfire .i would recommend replacing ignition coil

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced it this morning along with wires and new plugs!

Ok well thats the most common items covered id say 9/10 its a coil issue .next step is to test the engine is mechanically sound by having a compression test carried out

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a scan tool and it showed no codes!

This again makes me think its a mechanical fault

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did that this morning also but its strange ! I drove it this morning after all that and ran fine than went to leave again and i have this issues ! It done this a couple of days ago than it ran fine !

Ok any fuel from anywhere unusual?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Almost like its running out of gas i also replaced fuel pump regular!

The fuel is clean ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its clean ! I put some in a clear jar when i replaced the fuel filter a couple days ago! Very clean that was the first thing i did was replacing fuel filter

Ok im honna opt out another tech may have some ideas

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it be the fuel pump.
VW Mechanic: Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there. different expert here.

It could indeed be a fuel pressure/volume issue, I just wouldn't condemn the fuel pump unless fuel pressure and voltage tests would confirm it. Can your scan tool get engine data from the car's ECU? Can you test fuel pressure and check voltage at the pump?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think so like what kind of data

The kind of data the engine sensors send to the ECU so it can control how the engine starts and runs. How about those fuel pressure and voltage tests? Can you do those?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When i removed the fuel pressure regulator and before replacement i turned on the key switch should there have been any gas gushing out of there with the key on?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think so! Just gives me codes and there were none present!

I'm afraid I won't be able to help you. I'll opt out so others can try. Please do not reply to this post or the system will revert the request back to me.

Best Regards

VW Mechanic: vwtech0405, VW Technician replied 1 year ago
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician

i CAN HELP YOU I AM A MASTER VW TECHNICIAN . DO YOU HAVE A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE TO CHECK FUEL PRESSURE ??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have a fuel pressure gauge ! But i don't know where to hook in to this vw

You will need to tie into the fuel feed line that goes into the fuel rail , there are 2 rubber hoses that go to the fuel rail one has a blue arrow at the end of it and another one that has a white arrow on it thats the one you tap into with a hose T and check the fuel pressure when the car is running you should have a steady reading closer to 40 psi

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are those 2 lines that hook in to the pressure regulator?

yes which is the fuel rail that got to the injectors you need to remove the one that has the white arrow printed on it thats the fuel feed line

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will check that now!

ok let me know the results

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just checked it! It only had 25lbs at idle and even at higher rpm!

An you stated you have no faults at all correct ?? also any intake air leaks ??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No air or intake leaks did a smoke test earler today! Checked fuel pressure like you asked only 25 lbs
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
probably needs fuel pump

It should be higher then 25 lbs more then likely you have low fuel pressure causing the issue and i recommend the fuel pump to be replaced if you have not found anything else like a intake leak because the pressure low . I hope this helps.

Please dont forget to provide positive feedback and rating for the help provided thank you

vwtech0405
vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician