vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

I have a 2000 vw jetta 2.0 was running fine till yesterday

Customer Question

i have a 2000 vw jetta 2.0 was running fine till yesterday now it will start fine but idle is rough i can step on gas pedal and it will rev up than it just like the rpm's go down than it will pick up again almost like running out of gas but i smell raw gas!
Category: VW
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin it sounds like you have a missfire ? Is there any juddering ? Shaking ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok and is yours the 2.0 with plug leads or 4 seperate ignition coils?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has i coil pack and all 4 wires plug in to it
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok i suspect that the coil pack is at fault causing weak spark and giving you a missfire .i would recommend replacing ignition coil

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced it this morning along with wires and new plugs!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok well thats the most common items covered id say 9/10 its a coil issue .next step is to test the engine is mechanically sound by having a compression test carried out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a scan tool and it showed no codes!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

This again makes me think its a mechanical fault

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that this morning also but its strange ! I drove it this morning after all that and ran fine than went to leave again and i have this issues ! It done this a couple of days ago than it ran fine !
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok any fuel from anywhere unusual?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Almost like its running out of gas i also replaced fuel pump regular!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

The fuel is clean ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its clean ! I put some in a clear jar when i replaced the fuel filter a couple days ago! Very clean that was the first thing i did was replacing fuel filter
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok im honna opt out another tech may have some ideas

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the fuel pump.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. different expert here.

It could indeed be a fuel pressure/volume issue, I just wouldn't condemn the fuel pump unless fuel pressure and voltage tests would confirm it. Can your scan tool get engine data from the car's ECU? Can you test fuel pressure and check voltage at the pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think so like what kind of data

The kind of data the engine sensors send to the ECU so it can control how the engine starts and runs. How about those fuel pressure and voltage tests? Can you do those?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i removed the fuel pressure regulator and before replacement i turned on the key switch should there have been any gas gushing out of there with the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think so! Just gives me codes and there were none present!

I'm afraid I won't be able to help you. I'll opt out so others can try. Please do not reply to this post or the system will revert the request back to me.

Best Regards

Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.

i CAN HELP YOU I AM A MASTER VW TECHNICIAN . DO YOU HAVE A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE TO CHECK FUEL PRESSURE ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a fuel pressure gauge ! But i don't know where to hook in to this vw
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.

You will need to tie into the fuel feed line that goes into the fuel rail , there are 2 rubber hoses that go to the fuel rail one has a blue arrow at the end of it and another one that has a white arrow on it thats the one you tap into with a hose T and check the fuel pressure when the car is running you should have a steady reading closer to 40 psi

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are those 2 lines that hook in to the pressure regulator?
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.

yes which is the fuel rail that got to the injectors you need to remove the one that has the white arrow printed on it thats the fuel feed line

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will check that now!
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.

ok let me know the results

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked it! It only had 25lbs at idle and even at higher rpm!
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.

An you stated you have no faults at all correct ?? also any intake air leaks ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No air or intake leaks did a smoke test earler today! Checked fuel pressure like you asked only 25 lbs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
probably needs fuel pump
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 year ago.

It should be higher then 25 lbs more then likely you have low fuel pressure causing the issue and i recommend the fuel pump to be replaced if you have not found anything else like a intake leak because the pressure low . I hope this helps.

Please dont forget to provide positive feedback and rating for the help provided thank you