VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

Red light showing that the generator is supposedly ok, glows…

Customer Question
Red light showing that...

Red light showing that the generator is supposedly ok, glows very faintly while driving. I have changed the regulator. The generator is also new.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
2/22/2016
VW Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, what year and modle vw do you have?

1967 karma ghia, 1500 vw eng.

ok , have you verified voltage on the battery and generator output?

voltages are correct, but the red light on dash still glows very faintly

ok then you need to check the diodes and also make sure that it is in fact wired correctly from the gen light to the regulator. with a car that old i would wonder about wiring and connections.

My wiring diagram shows a connection between the body of the regulator and the body of the generator/ground, is this necessary and/or needed. Also for that bulb to glow there has to some forms of ground

ok i will opt out at this point, i wont be able to assist further, the diagrams i have are cruddy and i dont have much personal exp in the car other than the engine itself . another expert should be along soon.

VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

i have some questions to ask first?

1. did you try to polarize the generator?
  2. are you using a bosch voltage regulator ?
  3. i see that you have mentioned that about the ground at the regulator and generator is there one there (wire)
  4. has the vehicle been sitting for a while?

please let me know

thanks