VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I have a 2014 vw passat tid and put 4 new tires and have a

Customer Question
vibration at highway speeds.They have...
I have a 2014 vw passat tid and put 4 new tires and have a vibration at highway speeds.They have balanced the tires 4 times and still I get a vibration in the steering wheel after 65 mph.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It just vibrates at highway speeds after 65 mph and you can feel it in the steering wheel.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — VW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
2/19/2016
VW Mechanic: Kevin, VW Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic

Hi I'm Kevin this can only really be caused by bad tyre or poorly balanced tyre . I would first recommend swapping wheels front to rear to see if this cures

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Already did that and still have the vibration!

Ok now that's strange so vibration only started once new tyre fitted ? What brand of tyres ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Continental contact pro!

Ok very odd good tyre also il opt out on this one see if anyone else has any ideas

VW Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 1 year ago
Jeromy Madison

Hello, I think I might be able to help you.

Did the vibration start with the new tires or was it there already?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was there already!
VW Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok, that is different. How long have you noticed it? Has it been in an accident?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No.No accident .It started after 30,000 miles and then I had a flat tire and decided to get new ones.The day they were installed I had to go back to balance the tires and still vibrated and they rotated and balance again and there was less vibration at 60 but after 65 it vibrates a lot !
VW Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok, is your car all wheel drive?

Have you inspected the axles?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I have not checked the axles.The car is VW Passat 2014 TDI.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think I should take it to VW to check the axles.I had the service manager drive the car and insisted it was balance.They balanced the tires and rotated the more the 4 times.I spent three days at the VW service department.It doe not give a smooth ride after 65 and gets worst at 80.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am waiting for my last question!
VW Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 1 year ago

I am sorry I was gone.

The reason they are insisting it is the tires is because 90% of the time high speed vibration is the cause of tires.

Have you had them checked for balance somewhere else?

There are really on few main causes for a vibration. Tires, axle, bearing or motor mount.

Jeromy Madison
Jeromy Madison
Jeromy Madison