VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 2014 vw passat tid and put 4 new tires and have a…

Customer Question
I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 vw passat tid and put 4 new tires and have a vibration at highway speeds.They have balanced the tires 4 times and still I get a vibration in the steering wheel after 65 mph.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It just vibrates at highway speeds after 65 mph and you can feel it in the steering wheel.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
2/19/2016
VW Mechanic: Kevin, VW Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic

Hi I'm Kevin this can only really be caused by bad tyre or poorly balanced tyre . I would first recommend swapping wheels front to rear to see if this cures

Already did that and still have the vibration!

Ok now that's strange so vibration only started once new tyre fitted ? What brand of tyres ?

Continental contact pro!

Ok very odd good tyre also il opt out on this one see if anyone else has any ideas

VW Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago
Jeromy Madison

Hello, I think I might be able to help you.

Did the vibration start with the new tires or was it there already?

It was there already!
VW Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok, that is different. How long have you noticed it? Has it been in an accident?

No.No accident .It started after 30,000 miles and then I had a flat tire and decided to get new ones.The day they were installed I had to go back to balance the tires and still vibrated and they rotated and balance again and there was less vibration at 60 but after 65 it vibrates a lot !
VW Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok, is your car all wheel drive?

Have you inspected the axles?

No I have not checked the axles.The car is VW Passat 2014 TDI.
Do you think I should take it to VW to check the axles.I had the service manager drive the car and insisted it was balance.They balanced the tires and rotated the more the 4 times.I spent three days at the VW service department.It doe not give a smooth ride after 65 and gets worst at 80.
I am waiting for my last question!
VW Mechanic: Jeromy Madison,
 replied 2 years ago

I am sorry I was gone.

The reason they are insisting it is the tires is because 90% of the time high speed vibration is the cause of tires.

Have you had them checked for balance somewhere else?

There are really on few main causes for a vibration. Tires, axle, bearing or motor mount.

Jeromy Madison
Jeromy Madison
Jeromy Madison