VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 2.0 liter ARB Eurospec conversion in a 85 Vanagon.

Customer Question
I have a 2.0...

I have a 2.0 liter ARB Eurospec conversion in a 85 Vanagon. The tag states that it is a ARB E.O. No. D-459, Engine Family VW2.0V6GFFA EVAP VW-V. The ignition is too far advanced at start up. If you can get it started the ignition timing is fine. Any Ideas? Also it hat a black wire with a white stripe coming out of the harness by the computer. Does that go to the check engine light. I would like to get the codes out of this.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes. I own a independent VW shop and have the test equipment (Ross-Tech scanner) I just can not find any information on this engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Minor tune, timing belt, double checked the timing marks and checked timing when idling is 5 btdc and advances to about 40 btdc at 3000 rpm. The problem seams to be that it advances about 40* btdc during start up instead of being at about tdc for start up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?

What is this engine out of? So I can look it up next time myself.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
email***@******.***
2/19/2016
VW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, VW Technician replied 2 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician

Heh, I considered getting one of those engine kits from Overland back when I was looking at getting a Vanagon. In the intervening years, the Subaru conversion or the TDI conversion has taken over.

Take a look at this link, which gives a little of the history of the conversion kit-

And here is an explanation of SOME of the issues that plague this kit...

They are the European engine for the Golf and Jetta.

Do you have any idea why it is at full advance at start up? The knock sensor must work because the advance is fine running. And is the black wire with the white stripe to the check engine light?

Was it having the starting issue before the timing belt change? And have you been able to find a casting mark on the block at all, or was it ground off by Overland when they imported it?

I'm not sure about the wire, you may have to chase down the routing and see where it is spliced in.

It did it before the t belt change, t belt changed because of seal. Was going to pin check the computer but no numbers on it.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Are you still there?

Have you checked the distributor cap and rotor for any sign that is is arcing? Or checked to make sure that the crank pulley hasn't sheared off the key and rotated on the crank?

Cap and rotor new and look ok. Crank pulley was removed for seal replacement. crank has notch not key.
The part number on the head is###-##-#### ***** found that it is used on a 95, 96 Golf for the German/European market. How do I get a manual that would show fuel injection and a wiring diagram for a non-USA spec car?

Is it different from just a common ABA engine? It is in the 2E family.

It is like an ABA without a cross flow head, no crank sensor and has an air flow meter. Like a 90 Jetta. It took the 93 on timing belt. The computer looks like a Motronic, but has 2 rows of pins for a total of 45 pins. I can not find any computer that has that pin configuration. It does get the signal from the starter to the FI harness.
The throttle switch is a 037 907 385M.
Any ideas what my problem might be and what this might be out of?
Last week I put a high torque starter in it and it masked the problem. It started OK and with the extra torque it cranked past the ignition kick back. But of course this last weekend while driving it, it started to miss. The tachometer would drop and come back with throttle position. You could see the miss in the tachometer bouncing. I told you before that it uses a throttle position sensor out of a EuroVan. That switch has a throttle position sensor and a throttle closed switch. This engine has Digifant distributor, uses an air flow meter, has a knock sensor, the fuel rail and injectors looks close. I am done messing with this. I got a Digifant control unit and wiring harness from a 90 Jetta. Some of the connectors are different, temperature and throttle switch. This does not have the full throttle switch, but that should be OK. You can get parts for the Digifant systems. I think that the ignition advance in the computer must have be connected to throttle position. And that circuit must have been dying. Over the weekend it went