VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I'm trying to take the trunk panel apart to get to the fuel…

Customer Question
I'm trying to take...

I'm trying to take the trunk panel apart to get to the fuel cap (supposedly there is an emergency release behind the panel) my switch inside the car no longer works and I am out of gas. 2005 Volkswagen passat TDI

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The inside release for the fuel cap no longer works. The release for the trunk works fine. Can't put gas in the car and every forum i read says take the panel off to manually open the gas lid but I can't get the panel off.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
I have looked through the manual and there is no mention of an emergency fuel cap opening. Can't believe there is no big yellow chord to pull to open the cap. I have the panel half off and there doesn't appear to be anything near the back of the gas cap except for the fuel tank. I don't want to pull too hard as there are 9V electrical outlets that have power to them and I don't want to rip the cables off.
2/19/2016
VW Mechanic: Ted G., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician

Are you removing the panel in the trunk? Or inside the vehicle?

It is a wagon so I am trying to remove the back right hand side panel where the fuel cap is. It really isn't working too well.
This is the inside of the truck not the outside of the car.
I lifted up the carpet and took 2 plastic type screws out using a star shape screwdriver and then hand losening them but it didn't seem to do much. I then pulled on the panel (I removed the back piece that normally comes out first). I guess inside this may be a battery or something on some models but there was nothing in mine. I then tried to yank the panel off but got scared as there are 2 9V electrical terminals and I didn't want to pull out any wires. I watched some videos on taking off the door to get to the switch on the door but again too many wires. I just need gas to get to a repair shop.
What do I do with it when I see it?

Pull the little rod toward the rear of the vehicle.

I'll go to the garage and see if I can see it.

I'll wait on here for you.

I can't see anything like that but I can see the wheel well. I tried to stick my hand in but there are just too many wires. I will have to call CAA in the morning and get it towed to a garage.

You need to sort of aim your hand toward the gas door, the actuator and rod are in line with the center of the door when viewed top to bottom.

I can't seem to get that close to it so I am guessing I need to take more of the panel off. (even reaching my arm in as far as I can I am still not even to the gas cap). I am going to sleep on it as I am a little frustrated right now and better light in the morning. Thanks for your help though! I will let you know if I have better luck in the morning. Still can't believe they don't build in manual chords to open it in an emergency!
I can't get my hand past the wheel well. Somehow I need to get more of the panel off. The thing in the way is the black plastic holder that looks like it holds a battery or something and I can't see how to screw it off. I'll let the mechanics do it at this point. Good night!

Sorry we couldn't be more help.

Ted G.
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician