VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

O2 sensor wiring o2 sensor, just pulled O2 sensor, it has 5…

Customer Question
O2 sensor wiring for...

O2 sensor wiring for generic o2 sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Just pulled O2 sensor, it has 5 wires, the generic replacement one only had 4 wires, can I still use that one? How do I wire it?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
2/18/2016
VW Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 2 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

what is the year,make and model of you vw?..

and i will see if i can figure it out

2002 vw beetle turbo s

what engine?is it a diesel?

1.8?

turbo s is a 1.8 turbo gasoline

stand by

sorry,i have nothing on wiring the generic

stand by,i will opt out,maybe one of the other guys has something

someone will be right with you

did you take a look at the pics I sent?

yes,,but i do not know which wires is the heater on the generic

stand by

VW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, VW Technician replied 2 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician

Your O2 sensor is a wideband sensor, you need to get the one that matches it. In addition, generic sensors rarely work perfectly, since the oxygen source for an O2 sensor has to come from outside the sensor, and it uses the sheathing of the wiring to do this. A spliced connection will not do the same as the stock harness.

here is the key that came with o2 sensor

But your sensor has one wire less than the stock sensor- there's no way to make it work.

You can buy OEM parts for VW from Partsgeek, at about the same price that an employee would get at the dealer.

ok, not sure if that was worth $28 since I was about to that anyway but figured you guys might know a bit more. Thanks anyways.

It's worth it to use the OEM parts- I have worked in shops that use parts from the Auto Value, Napa, or O'Reilly's, and more often than not they are bad out of the box the first time, or fail within a few months.