VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have a 2008 VW Toureg V8 and have a transmission issue…

Customer Question
I have a 2008 VW...
I have a 2008 VW Toureg V8 and have a transmission issue that my dealer is having problems troubleshooting.
After accelerating at highway speeds and easing on accelerator after passing there is occasionally a VIOLENT lurch and loud bang as the transmission returns from 5th gear to 6th gear. This noise is so loud that it will cause passengers to be shaken if they have not heard this noise before. This has been ongoing for a few years. Service manager says that this is "normal".
Can you please provide an insight?
Kind regards,
John McGaw
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
2/15/2016
VW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, VW Technician replied 2 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician

Absolutely not normal! Have they checked the transmission fluid level, or dropped the tranny pan to inspect for any debris indicating a breakdown of one of the clutch packs? Any faults stored in the transmission control module (if it is purely mechanical there may not be)

they did check the fluid but not sure about dropping the pan. I will stop by another VW dealership on the way home. Are there any other questions I should ask?

I'm glad you have a choice of dealerships! If you don't get satisfaction from one, you can always contact VWOA and they can send out a regional rep. You can always ask the service manager to go for a drive with you and demonstrate this, and then ask him to take a vehicle from his lot and see if it does the same thing.

I have an appointment this morning for a test drive...I hope I can reproduce the same issue. Next step would be to change fluid and seals and check for metal I suppose.

Yes, best when changing fluid if you drop the pan to inspect for any metal or particles.