VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

My 2003 VW 2.0 5 speed.... after auto starts the starter

Customer Question
Richardson my 2003 VW 2.0...
Richardson my 2003 VW 2.0 5 speed.... after auto starts the starter continues to whirr a bit.... what is the problem and what do I do to fix this
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: just sent
JA: OK got it. Last thing — VW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
2/13/2016
VW Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 1 year ago
Greg
Greg, Technician

Hi .

This is normally just a problem with the starter bendix .

Two options replace the starter motor ot have the bendix drive replaced .

Most cases better to replace and getv the core price back on your old starter .

Need any follow up help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service.
This way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

If i do not get back to you then i may be off line, and when i get back online i will get back to you..

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I researched the problem further and you were incorrect. Once you remove the covering on the started there are small gears in the back of the starter that needed greased.

Hi .

Yes as said this is the bendix drive you managed to get away with greasing the reduction drive gears as to say on this type, if you was able to grease then even better .

In many case when the drive gears drys up the gears have a lot of play .

Lets hope this is all that is needed and later does not cause you any more problems .

Kindest regards Greg

Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician