VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

I have 2000 VW Cabrio. The power windows keep blowing their…

Customer Question
I have 2000...

I have 2000 VW Cabrio. The power windows keep blowing their fuse. Also, When I run the a/c it cools on one and two fan settings but doesn't blow. On settings three and four it blows but doesn't cool.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

As much as possible.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?

My transmission sometimes has a hard time getting into gear. Especially when it is cold.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
2/4/2016
VW Mechanic: gomi_otaku, VW Technician replied 2 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician

It sounds like you have multiple issues. FOr the fan issue, I would suspect that you have a bad resistor pack, located in the airbox on the passenger side near the blower fan. It regulates the speeds of the blower fan by running the signal through various resistances, changing the amperage flow.

As for the transmission, if it is a cold issue, then I would suspect that your fluid is a little low. VWs are supposed to be "lifetime" filled, but we know that is not the case, and I would even recommend going so far as to drain it, drop the pan and replace the fiter, and refill the fluid with VW recommended fluid (NOT Dexron or other domestic fluid)

Your vehicle does not have a dipstick, but relies on the fluid dripping over a tub inset into the drain when the vehicle is running. You top off the fluid while running, with the drain plug out, until it starts to drip over this overflow tube. Then cap the drain and turn the car off. THe fill port is on the front covered by a locking red cap.