VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

01' passat My alarm has been set off apparently. I can't…

Customer Question
01' passat My alarm...

01' passat My alarm has been set off apparently. I can't turn it off without disconnecting it. The power windows and locks are off as well. I think it's a fuse but not sure.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a VW. The VW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Alarm horn is going off as if I'm laying on the horn. power windows and locks don't work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

I'm trying,

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the VW Mechanic should be aware of about your VW?

The actuator that controls window on driver side hasn't worked for some time.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: VW
Well it's not a fuse...I checked those. I think I've got all of them figured right and they are in good condition. It's just something with the alarm system. May be linked to the broken window actuator or whatever is causing my driver side window to not work. It makes a crunching sound every time someone tries.
2/4/2016
VW Mechanic: Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

"I can't turn it off without disconnecting it" Is this an aftermarket system?

What are you disconnecting?

Will the vehicle start but the alarm remains on?

I disconnected the terminal off of the battery, just one side to stop the alarm. The horn is blasting otherwise...The alarm has been tripped and won't turn off. The lights are stuck on and the horn.
My hunch is it's something to do with that driver side door or the trunk. Because what happened is I left my house, everything was fine. I got to subway to get a bite to eat before I went to an interview. When I came back the car wouldn't start. Popped the trunk and the hood. Looked around, messed around a little bit with terminals trying to figure out what was happening. Just looking to see if I could see anything. Got back in the car, it started. I closed the hood and trunk, and about 4 seconds later the horn started blaring uncontrollably and the computer told me that a compartment(door) was open. I stopped and made sure everything was shut. Got back in but couldn't get the alarm to go off.

When you had it started and running, did the alarm come on while running, did it or shut the vehicle off?

It doesn't shut the vehicle off. It appears that I can drive the car as long as I want. I drove it at least 5 minutes home.

Are you sure this is not an aftermarket alarm system. It is slim to rare to never will and OEM alarm system go off while the vehicle is running much less allow the vehicle to continue running.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.