VW

Have Volkswagen Questions? Ask an Expert Now.

VW

I have a 2003 vw Jetta 1.8t and the after run water pump is

Customer Question
not working. When I checked...
I have a 2003 vw Jetta 1.8t and the after run water pump is not working. When I checked under the hood one time the wire harness had come off and must have gotten in the fans and tore the end off. I got a new end and spliced it in but it won't run
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: VW
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/2/2016
VW Mechanic: Wolfgang, VW Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

i do need a vin # ***** assist.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3vwse69m43m100068

i need you to check if you have voltage on the red/black wire of the coolant pump when you start the car and the turn it off . the pump should run for 9 minutes after the key is turned off . you will need a volt meter to do this check please

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will when I get home from work. I will tell you that the harness going to the pump got ripped off somehow and I got a new harness at junkyard but it has different color wires. I wasn't sure what way they went but I figured the pump would run in reverse. The pump just doesn't come on

let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No power at either side of plug. Also my electric fans aren't working. I just replaced temp control switch.

on top of the battery fuse box check all fuses especially the 3 green fuses!!

let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The green fuses are good

you need to pull them and make sure that there is no black markings on the blade of the fuses then also check the 40 amp bolt in fuse make sure that is not blown. if ok then you need to make sure you have 12 volts on pin 1 and pin 3 of the 4 pin connector of the fan control module located under the drivers side frame rail under the battery.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will check for power. I replaced the FCM a couple months ago. But I never tested for power. It might b a day before I get back to u. I have work and basketball
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that power with key on or off

key on

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't find a diagram to how the pins are numbered. Is it like reading a book. Left to right top to bottom

on the connector there is #'s where the wires go in!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The #1 and the 30a plugs were hot

ok first need to check the wiring from the pump to the 14 pin connector near the battery. reistance checkfrom pin #1 of pump to pin 13 of the 14 pin connector and pin #2 to pin 7 let me know what you have in resistance

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. So those pins aren't numbered so how do I determine what pin is what

all connectors has numbers where the terminal wire goes into the hardshell

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I see the PIN numbers. Do I test with key on or off

when you do a resistance test key is always off

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My meter just stays at 1 on both tests

can you take a pic of meter and post here? i just want to make sure you are on the right setting when checking!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't get a picture to upload. I have the black plug in common hole red plug in the resistance hole and I tried every setting in the ohms(200,2k,20k,200k,20m,2m)

that means the wire has an open then need to stretch new wire from end to end and then recheck

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok new wires from FCM to pump?

now to make sure did you check the male side of the 14 pin connector or the female side of the 14 pin connector?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Female pins on the 14 pin male plug that plugs into FCM

no there is a 14 pin connector if you take the air cleaner box out in the air box area then recheck the pins stated above!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've been sicker than a dog last 3 days. Went out today and took air box out. I see 3 runs of loomed wires that run under air box then go up into cowl area. Don't see any plugs. Am I in the right area

when the air box is removed the 14 pin connector should be right there near the snorkel of the air cleaner that is still mounted .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I found the plug and there is not a wire in the 13 pin. I suck at wiring that's why I'm here asking. What is the setting I should use on my meter and which end of the 14pin plug am I testing

resistance ohms

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which side of the plug

the side where the wires going to the engine

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Also there is no wire in the #13 pin.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pin #2 to #7 .05 set at 20m. 76.5 set on 200k. #7 is a heavy brown wire. No wire in the #13 position

ok here is the diagram . you need to check the v51 wires

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What kind of check and from where to where

resistance check from the fan control module pin 13 to pin 1 of the water pump and then pin 2 of the water pump to pin 7 of the 14 pin connector at the air cleaner area.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is nothing from #13 to #1 on water pump. There is continuity from #1 to #1 and #2 to #6 on the water pump plug to the FCM plug. On the #2 to #7 test it started with resistance then settled down to 0

then 13 to 1 has an open that needs to be rectified first then recheck

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't understand where 13 is supposed to be going. #1 and#6 are accounting for the two wires that are going to the pump plug

forget 13 if 1 to 1 is good . how about 2 from pump to ground on the battery what is the resistance?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's #6 in the FCM harness. I didn't check resistance I just did a continuity test. Do I test the ground in the plug or test it actually to the battery

to the negative side of the battery

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
0.00 resistance from plug #2 on pump to neg battery cable

ok that is good!! do you have voltage at pin 4 of the fan control module (14 pin connector)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
power to #4. That is only one with key off that has power

ok the next step is to unplug the radiator fan switch on the radiator drivers side and should be a triangular plug and jump 2 terminals the red wire and the red/white wire first and tell me if the fan speed is fast or slow and then jump terminals red and red/yellow and tell me the speed of the fans

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have done that and I got a hi and low. The high only worked with the key in the on position the low worked with key off

ok if that is good then the fan control module's logic circuit for the pump is damaged internally and will need a new fcm.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have already replaced the FCM and the temp sensor that was the fan plug I just tested. That is when I contacted u. So when is that pump supposed to run

that pump on;y runs after the car is turned off for about 10 minutes at operating temperature. if cold it may not run depends on the temp of the engine

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess I'll put it back together and try it. I don't know what else to check. I even took apart one of the FCM units cause I heard that the contacts stick but it looks great

ok let me know!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a way to jumper the plug by the battery to see if power will make it to the pump

remove the plug and run 2 wires to the pump

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've jumpered the pump I was just wondering if I could do it farther upstream to see if it is not working down the line. It worked when I straight jumpered it

how about a scan test from the engine ecu

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Like a vagcom?

correct!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician